19 March, 2009

Thinking Aloud

Yesterday I had coffee with a friend.  We sat in the unusually crowded coffee shop discussing his professional goals, life in general, and the state of the union.  We were two square pegs sharing a moment of laughter and conversation; two friends frustrated with the round world to some extent.  While he is moving toward the fulfillment of my graduate school dreams, I have created new dreams involving the state of my reality. 

The conversation, the camaraderie, the reminder that there are a few square pegs out here… it was all something I needed. 

Today the beat goes on.  Decisions are made, reality is ignored, and people see only what they want to see.  I can only hope that there are more square pegs out there exploring horizons and pushing the envelope of every day thinking. 

 

I wish I could write about what we talked about and all that I have been thinking for the past few weeks, but I haven’t found a way to express my thoughts.  Thus, I leave you with this from Socrates –

“The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice of them.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm lost! Sorry. I want to hear the conversation and your thoughts... But, I will practice patience. That's good, yes?