27 July, 2009

Three Little Words - Memoir Monday

"Don't tell me.  I don't want to know."  I sat, phone pressed to my ear knowing the words sitting on the tip of his tongue.  The words he didn't need to say as he actions and thoughts and time shared stated his feelings ever so clearly.  I didn't need to hear the words.

Amazingly enough, I didn't want to hear the words.  The stating of those words, those three little words, would change the situation.  They would make "real" what seemed very easy to down play at that moment.  Over the preceding months our friendship had blossomed into something else - into a relationship that would last years and overcome so very much through respect and honesty; through a commitment to give love through our actions and our choices.

earlier I had voiced my feelings - I had given him my love.  It was, looking back on that day, unfair for me to deny him that chance to voice his feelings for me.  I remember wanting to hear the words voiced; and yet, knowing that a relationship would begin where the friendship  would be strengthened.  They would be words that I would come to hear and say and cherish.  

"I love you," he said... I never looked back - I simply smiled and let my heart fly.  

 

 

2 comments:

Mark said...

We simply must allow and accept to do otherwise would be to miss so much!

Stacey said...

How lovely of you to share this with us today!