16 October, 2007

Opportunities

A few months ago my mentor explained that this was not his dream job.  He likes his job, but it was never the job he had anticipated - this was not his dream career. 
 
I wonder for how many of us, this same idea is true? 
 
I know that I was forced to choose a major before I entered my senior year in college in order to take the Constitutional Law class that I found intriguing.  I declared a double major, in two liberal arts fields, and came to terms with the reality that I would have to continue my education as a career path in either of the two fields was... well, not obvious or easy to obtain. 
 
Some of my friends chose fields that allowed them to find work immediately, in their chosen fields even!  What a concept!  Of course, I am not one to take such a clear route; I like challenges.
 
The reality is that I loved my chosen fields.  I would not change my selections were I to go back and do everything again.  I simply didn't know the variety of career opportunities available; I am still not sure I am aware of each position for which I am qualified.  
 
I am sure that my upbringing had something to do with it.  My parents are not the typical small mountain town America family.  My mom is a slave to education, in that I mean that she is always taking this or that class.  She has several Masters degrees and has transformed her professional life into a career she loves.  My dad is atypical in his own right.  He is well read, has taken various paths in an attempt to find his "thing", and is now happily enjoying his 4th or 5th career.  That said, I did grow up in rural America where degrees in political science and history were not common, nor, at that time, was the desire to leave the mountain or obtain a degree.  
 
I attended a large university.  I am sure that, in such a hallowed institution, I could have found a few different professional opportunities, but I didn't.  I simply didn't know what to do with my life nor was I sure where I wanted to go professionally beyond advanced degrees. 
 
Time has passed.  I have worked in two different areas and hope to add a few more to my list.  Yet, I still do not know if I am aware of the opportunities that are out there.  Like my mentor, I never imagined that I would end up "here."  
 
One of the aspects of living in this area that I appreciate is the range and variety of opportunities for children.  Shortly after I moved here, I discovered that one can spend a summer doing an internship in archeology with the Natural History Museum.  Wow!  For me, that was huge.  (Remember, I am, at heart, still a small town girl from the mountains).  But if someone can do such an internship, imagine what other internships are available here.  The opportunities seem limitless.
 
And maybe that is the key.  
 
We think in terms of black and white, of being comfortable, and doing a job even though it might become boring, of picking a path of study because it is safe without being aware of all that is out there.  When, perhaps the truth is that the opportunities are limitless - if we think it, we can make it happen.  Thus we are not confined by our careers but by our limited imagination.   

11 comments:

JustRun said...

I did not choose that kind of career, either. I've worked in so many different fields, it sometimes amazes even me. But it's given me so much knowledge, how could I complain?

Then again, here I am at almost thirty and I'm hoping to change yet again. I suppose I'll never stop.

Scotty said...

I have never worked in a field that required my undergrad, and I am ok with that. As for the first grad degree, I got it to get my foot in the door, and it was a good way to have a basis for my second.

I just hope to find a career where it isnt so much a job :)

Mike said...

I love the career I have now. Although I spent most of my life wondering what I would do with it. If it wasn't a newspaper ad from my SIL who knows. Happy to hear that your happy which is the key to success in any field.

Unknown said...

It's a story every generation learns, that we don't know what we don't know, until we admit we know nothing.

Then everything is possible.

Bre said...

I didn't figure out what this field even WAS until I was halfway through my undergrad - it's a weird feeling to talk about what I learned in the classroom in college because it has so little to do with what I actually DO now.

Scorpy said...

I have a Diploma in Management and another in Business and an Associate Dip in Applied Sciences (Eng) plus several trades (Electrcian and Avionics Technician)... but after all of that study I probably use more skills I actually learnt in my chosen fields (on the job)rather than anything I really learnt in a classroom. I chsoe the armed forces when I was 15 and realised from a young age that the opportunities and adventures it provided far surpassed the actual skill set I was required to learn. So maybe it isn't about your knowledge base but rather about the career you finally select. I know lots of people that do not use their learnt skills in their chosen field...I know I don't :)

M@ said...

I'm struggling right now. There are just so many choices and they say unemployment is down to 2.7% in this DC area.

Anonymous said...

Well put. I'm working on coming to terms that what a 'dream job' is on paper may never turn into the reality- even when you've taken all the classes and graduated with a degree you love. I admire people who stay with what they love, despite the obstacles.

Ryan said...

I didn't realize my dream job was actually just that - "my dream job" until I left to pursue other avenues. Maybe there is another "dream job" ahead?

Sometimes when your imagination works overtime, some very important things are missed along the way.

Aaron said...

I believe I'm still trying to find my niche.

Which mountain did you grow up on? Perhaps we were neighbors? :)

The Exception said...

Jr - It sounds like you have explored various options and are open to moving and changing. The sky is truly the limit!!

Scotty - I don't use either of my degrees either - I love the fields though... and it is the work that is something we love rather than a job that I desire as well.

Mike - Happenstance!! Sometimes the opportunity to do something we love is purely a product of timing and happenstance. Often it is something that would never have entered our heads. I am glad you are happy too.

Wombat - Well stated. Admitting a lack of knowledge opens us to finding and discovering all that is available.

Bre - I have been through years of school and still have no recollection of people doing what you do! It sounds like a fun and challenging job. Definitely much learned OTJ!

Scorpy - I always looked at college as a time to study what I enjoyed. I did learn to write and research, both of which I should be using... but so much of our professional lives are built upon what we learn onsite and through experience. Being open to the opportunities and following our dreams might help? ;)

Matt - This area is crawling with opportunities!! It is all about timing though and... unfortunately, who you know does help - and being in a field that is in demand.

Brandy - Coming to terms with that is challenging. Another option to consider would be to loosen your definition of your "dream." A friend of mine wanted to dance professionally, but she wasn't good enough. So she worked toward doing something that incorporated dance - dance therapy etc.

perhaps the challenging aspect is turning the dream into something that is more gray than drawn in black and white.

Ryan - True, it is important to recognize what you have while you have it.... and of course, you can always dream so... there is another dream job waiting to be obtained. Hope springs eternal. ;)