04 January, 2008

Ah... To Dance

There are various things I miss about not having a man around - I have to take out the trash, deal with sounds in the middle of the night, and even have had to become quite skilled with different sets of tools.  But, one of the things I miss the most (and can't do by myself) is dancing. 
 
*sigh* dancing...
 
I don't mean fast dancing or fancy dancing or even Latin or ballroom dancing.  I mean dancing - slow and easy, comfortable and intimate... dancing. 
 
I have always loved the feel of a man's arms around me - his hand guiding me around the dance floor, our bodies moving together with the music.  Sometimes there is conversation.  Sometimes there is laughter.  But neither of these are necessary as the music plays and our bodies move together...*sigh*
 
Dancing is something I miss.  Dancing is something I can not do well while single!
 
Yes, I could take up Latin dancing.  I could go to ballroom classes.  And yes, I am well aware that these would be fun and entertaining. 
 
But neither is the dancing that I miss; neither is the dancing that I desire. 
 
Most of the time the absence of slow dancing is not forefront in my mind.  Most of the time I probably don't think twice about dancing unless asked.  Perhaps it is the holidays with holiday parties and dance floors and couples swaying to the music that has me thinking about dancing... or perhaps it is that I recently heard a song that threw me back to my younger years.  A song that reminded me of going out with friends, dancing in groups, and then being pulled out of the crowd to be whisked around the floor by a man who knew all the right moves.  
 
There are songs that do that, you know.  Songs that demand attention.  Melodies that leave me missing... the dance.   
  
That is what I miss... the strong hands; the man who knows how to lead; and the music that finds a place somewhere inside me and pours through my veins.  It is not dancing to just any slow song with just any man.  On the contrary, it probably could be any slow song, but when the man knows his steps and understands how to lead... I am lost in the moment; his for the taking.  Combine that man with an "I must dance to this" song... and I am without power to refuse the invitation to dance.  
 
That is the dance that I miss.  perhaps it is a female thing?  Perhaps it is just an Exception thing?    But... what I wouldn't give to hear "May I have this dance..."
 

16 comments:

Dave said...

If there's such a thing as a booty call, can't there be a dance call?

Kennethwongsf said...

There must be some drop-in dance classes in your area where you can Swing for the evening or get a Tango quickie ;-)

megabrooke said...

Aw, I think I know this feeling you describe.

Jams said...

Ah, the longing. You described it so well.

brandy said...

I know this feeling! You are definitely not alone with this. There's something about a confident guy on the dance floor who steps are smooth and his grip tight that gets my heart beating faster...

Jeni said...

It's the slow dance, the nice, pretty, special type music that folds itself around you along with the strong arms, closeness that comes with that type of dance. Yep. I can follow what you're describing here -oh too well.

James said...

I sure could use a tango...

Enigma said...

Ah ,the man who knows how to lead, thats a rare thing indeed.
have a great new year.

The Exception said...

Dave - That would be great - a DF (Dance Friend) kind of relationship!

Kenneth - Ah, finding someone to "tango" is not an issue! ;) (It is finding that man who can really two step)

Brookem - Perhaps it is a "girl thing?" Do men long for that dance?

Bella Rum - Thanks and thanks for dropping by!

Brandy - Exactly! - pure magic when it is happening.

Jeni - You got it - well stated!

James - Ah, if only we weren't on different coasts! ;)

Enigma - It seems like a simple thing, but finding that partner... the one with whom each of us can "dance" is often a challenge. Thanks for dropping by and - Happy new year to you too.

Carrie said...

I've felt the exact same way... there that certain something that makes a man who can dance (well) so irresistable.

VB Mom said...

Though I do like the intimate dancing, I tend to do the leading. :)

Thanks for popping in for a little encouragment. Always appreciate a visit.

M said...

I'm absolutely the opposite. I always think that dancing with someone totally cramps my style. I become idiot feet. Alone I am great!

Though, it's lovely to lean on shoulders. sigh.

Scotty said...

Scotty LOVES to dance. Seriously. And, I know how to two step. Though it may take a little bit to get those feet on.

I have considered tango lessons, though... too busy. After this summer, once school is finished!

Kat Wilder said...

The beauty of dance is that ... you can do it alone! It's lovely to have a partner to do it with, though, as it's lovely to have a partner with many things one can also do alone.

Could you go up to a man and ask, "May I have this dance?"

Could you dance with a woman?

But I totally get the dancing with a guy thing, and what Carrie alludes to is a man who can dance well can also — well, you can figure it out ...

Pause said...

See that is why I do so well single, I don't need to have a woman in my life. I would like one though. The right one.

Aaron said...

*sigh*

I have the opposite problem.