02 November, 2010

So Many Kinds of Hugs

The frost glistens in the first rays of the morning sun. it is the second day of November. Gone are the mornings with a hint of the Fall chill; winter has begun its approach. Or so it seemed this morning.


My daughter's hands, like mine, are sensitive to cold. This morning warm gloves embraced her fingers, hugging her hand tightly while protecting them from the cold. . I buried one bare hand in a pocket and held hers in the other. A morning of hugs: my hand hugging hers; hers tightly embraced by the gloves; and the frost holding tightly to blades of grass. Clouds hugged the sum as we walked and sang, feet sending leaves dancing in the crisp air.

Hugs.

The word invokes images of one person embracing another. Children held by parents or care givers, friends embracing after time spent apart or prior to departure, or lovers sharing a moment of intimacy.

On the internet, I often see signs of virtual hugs; people attempting to reach out to one another with compassion or shared joy.

I have seen children (and adults) enfolding themselves in blankets or gather to them a favorite plush friend finding security, warmth, and comfort in the folds of the embrace.

Growing up with dogs and cats, I have fond memories of my nose pressed into furry necks as they stood patiently wrapped in a hug of the human sort. Eventually I learned to accept their pet hugs too - the large pink tongues, the rumbling purrs, and their gentle companionship hugging in a way that is singular to each.

My life is rich with hugs - I have a daughter who believes "hug" to be one of the best words and activities in the history of the world. She shares herself through hugs - her sadness, her compassion, her joy, her enthusiasm - each expressed openly in her embrace.

There is something about a hug that words fall short of capturing. Perhaps it is the exchange of warmth? The feeling of arms holding? The comfort that comes from touch? Hugs are a little piece of magic in every essence, speaking a language all their own. They are the best hot chocolate on a cold winter day; the feeling of freshly washed sheets at day’s end; and time shared in companionship.

What are hugs to you?





RAOKA is founded on the idea that we can do little things to make a difference. The little things in life, the little things that we all can do and do daily – like laughter, express passion, gratitude… These acts are noted by various people in accordance with a theme chosen each month. October’s theme was Hugs; The theme for November is Wonder!

If you would like to participate in RAOKA, please contact Zeenat at ‘Positive Provocations.

8 comments:

Zeenat{Positive Provocations} said...

HI M,
I love what you have shared here about the different kind of hugs. Its so wonderful na to have kids who love to hug. Your daughter is such a blessing as is mine :)
May all our days here on this beautiful planet be Hug FULL :)
Thank you for your beautiful contribution to this months Raoka. A big HUG for you.
Lots of love,
Z~
p.s. I love the new look of your blog. Very clear, neat and bright. Beautiful on the eyes.

Joy said...

A to you for sharing such radiance! There are as many kinds of hugs as there are people..each with its own meaning, its own place..may you receive into your life all of the hugs your heart desires:)

Gayze (Gazehound's Animal Communication) said...

What a beautiful way to express the vastness and depth of what a hug can mean. You're so right ... there are so many kinds of hugs, and ways of hugging that we don't often think about.

LesleyG said...

I always say hugs are in my Top Ten Favorite Things Ever.

Belinda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mama Llama said...

Hugs.

Always needing more, always giving more than asked for.

I always hugged as a child and a teen. My parents hated that in me. Or perhaps they were jealous. Regardless, I am thankful I have been blessed with children who need hugs so that I can make up for lost time.

Fewer thing in Life make me feel more protected and loved. I need more hugs.

Be well, TE.

BigLittlewolf said...

There's a kind of warmth, a "we're in this together" feeling - even if fleeting - that comes from hugs.

It's good stuff. (And so easy.)

Sara said...

After reading this great post, the first thing I thought about was my boyfriend, JC. When I first met him, I wasn't really sure if we would be good together. He was so very shy.

But one night, after a date when I was getting ready to leave, he impulsively hugged me.

It felt like being wrapped in love. He didn't just hug and push me away, he really hugged me and through that hug, I got a glimpse of his wonderful heart:~)

I think hugs can tell you a lot about people:~)