20 January, 2011

Happy Talk - and Dreams

Happy talk, keep talking happy talk

Talk about things you'd like to do

You gotta have a dream, if you don't have a dream

How you gonna have a dream come true?

-South Pacific

The song floated from the stage and directly into my heart.  “If you don’t have a dream…”  How could a dream come true? 

I read lots about people having dreams – taking ideas and making them happen. 

I love it and think that their effort is wonderful and their ability to take the risks that are often involved in making dreams come true – or even giving dreams a chance. 

What about my dreams?  Do I dream and Can I make those dreams come true?

This is a question that I have asked myself on and off for the last few years.  My dreams have changed from those I enjoyed when I was younger; or in graduate school; or a new parent; or even a few years ago when, in the end, I am not sure that I had dreams.  Well, not really as I have continuously dreamed of the parent I want to be and that is a dream I am living and fulfilling daily!

But more than parenting – what about my dreams?

The words of the song encircle me like a warm blanket on these cold January days gently reminding me that there is magic in dreams.  How have I let this idea out of my sight?  I encourage my daughter to dream and eagerly support the dreams of friends and others believing that anything is possible; and yet, I have not taken much time to allow myself the freedom to dream. 

Perhaps that isn’t true.  The reality might be that I haven’t allowed myself to look at my dreams and try them on for size!

Because, really, I have dreams. 

The funny thing about dreams though, when it comes to me, is the awareness that if I allow myself to see the dreams and let them out to play, I have to take the steps to fulfill them.  I am not one that can inactively dream.  The idea of having the dream of writing a cookbook or opening a little café or living in another country or starting a business and not actively working to birth or create it seems foreign to me.  It is easier just to “not dream” than to take the risks required in making a dream a reality. 

Yet, how long can a person live like that? How long can I pretend that I don’t have dreams beyond being the best parent possible?

How can I teach my daughter to reach to the stars and journey toward her dreams if I deny my own experiences to that end?

Modeling hard work and dream fulfillment and taking the risk are not possible if I don’t do them myself…

So that is what I am doing!

This year, 2011, my word of intention is “Inspire” in all its forms.  And I feel and am inspired to take steps to fulfill dreams!

I am not only talking “Happy Talk” but I am dreaming because without dreams, I can’t make them happen… and this is the year when I make them happen or learn the lessons that the journey of that risk offers!

I am a little nervous and a lot excited… and I write this with a smile that reflects the warmth in my heart.  It is going to be quite a year – a year when dreams come true. 

6 comments:

BigLittleWolf said...

I hear you. We have our "own" dreams beyond our aspirations to do our best job as parents.

But giving them a bit of head? We want more, and that may not be possible while we're still juggling the parenting and making a buck.

But it's nice to know we still have those dreams, or can renew them, and create new ones as well.

A reminder that is helpful, though at times - bittersweet.

Sara said...

TE -- Firstly, I think the dream of being the best parent possible is a lovely dream to have and I know if takes work, but you do a good job.

So, I'm curious. What dream do you plan on starting on and what's the first step. Sara's rule about working on dreams: The first step must be one that makes you smile to think about it:~)

I also really like your word of intention. I still haven't figured mine out yet, but I'm working at it.

Anonymous said...

I am inspired by your word, words, and by the infinite possibilities.
~laughing~
I am looking forward to hearing your story as it unfolds.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi TE .. you certainly inspire your daughter to dream .. opening her eyes to many things, sharing with her ..

The intent - to start taking small steps .. no more talking or dreaming .. moving on towards those dreams ahead ..

Have a great weekend .. Hilary

Aileen said...

:) I'm so happy to hear you are choosing to dream this year! I completely understand what you say about not dreaming, because then you must commit to actions.

Inspire is a fantastic intention to have for this year. I'll be cheering you on from the sideline here - cheering you on to dream and take the small action steps - one after the other. I know you'll pick a pace that works for you and you'll be able to adjust it as needed.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this year unfolds for you :)

May inspiration guide your mind, spirit, and actions daily :)

alice hive said...

Inspiration has become a more and more important aspect of my life.

You can already follow your inspiration in the little things: What are you inspired to do now?

Life gets a lot more exciting and refreshing when you live it that way.