20 September, 2007

When I grow up...

"The teacher asked us to draw a picture of what we want to be when we grow up.  I split the paper in half and drew a ballerina and an author."
 
That's my kid.  I immediately thought of Leisel and ALU - perhaps dancing and writing go hand in hand
 
"Did anyone else want to dance?  Write?"
 
As it happened, many of the girls wanted to be scientists, veterinarians, and even astronauts.  Several wanted to be authors as well.   
 
"The boys want to be soldiers."
 
"Fascinating."  The social scientist in me went to work.  Given the current state of the world and the news that these children are hearing, the boys want to be soldiers.  Is this common?  A trend?  Is it based upon the area in which we live? 
 
"I don't know why they would want to be soldiers,"  the Diva continued.  "There are lots of good jobs - fire fighter, police man..."
 
My cousin is in the USAF.  He  has experienced several tours in the Middle East.  Each time news of Iraq is on the radio, the Diva would ask if he was okay.  He is ok and is back in the states, but he could go back at any time. 
 
She worries about him but loves the Navy. 
 
The Diva is in a mixed class - first and second graders from various backgrounds and experiences.  There are more first graders than second graders and more boys than girls. 
 
Thirty years ago I was in second grade.  I wanted to be a teacher (none of her classmates wanted to teach).  I wonder what the boys wanted to be?  It was a different time in the history of this country.  The military was not viewed as highly as it is today.  That said, I remember the boys playing "war" and "CHIPS" - and I feel very old writing the latter. 
 
Still, the idea that young boys, growing up knowing little outside a conflict/fighting environment (even though thousands of miles away) wanted to be soldiers fascinates me. 
 
The military is a significant part of my family.  Both my grandfather and uncle received appointments to the USNA.  My cousins were career USAF and USA officers.  My brother wanted to attend the USNA as well.  I am not sure why as the military and my brother don't really work in  my mind, but that is what he wanted.  It could have been due to family history, tradition, the romance of "an Officer and a Gentleman" or something else entirely. 
 
He did not receive an appointment to the USNA.  He did receive one to the USCG - which he accepted only to decide a month after his arrival on campus that he had a bad knee and wanted to do something else.    Which he did.
 
Serving in the military is admirable.  I have heard compelling arguments suggesting that everyone, male and female, needs to serve for a short period of time as happens in countries like Sweden and Switzerland.  
 
It is wonderful that these boys want to serve - to give something to their country and to protect the citizens etc.  I doubt this is what they are considering when they think about what they want to do when they grow up, but it is possible.  
 
I still find it fascinating.  I wish someone would do a study about what kids, ages 6-8, want to do when they grow up.  I wonder how many of us stick with the profession we desired at that age???  
 
"Did anyone want to be a lawyer?"  (Which is what so many people do in this area)
 
"No!"
 
Ah, there is hope for that generation!
 
(Nothing against lawyers mind you, my family is full of them too)

12 comments:

JustRun said...

I really believe if there's anything good to come out of this "era" we're living in right now, it's that a respect for those who serve our country has been renewed. Yes, many of us who grew up around military or had family members perhaps have always had that respect but now an entire nation is able to embrace it, or so I hope.

I do think it's pretty amazing that so many kids now want to be soldiers, but I'm not quite sure I can comment well on that. It's hard commenting on history when we're in the middle of it I think.

Scotty said...

Growing up, I remember not wanting to be anything but a fighter pilot.

And is there a romance of "an Officer and a Gentleman"?

Aaron said...

+1 to Scotty.

I wanted to be a fighter pilot and then do my tenure as an Astronaut... at least, until 1986.

And I also believe serving in the military is admirable in every way possible. While many in my family have served, I did not. I often feel a lot of guilt about it, too.

Mike said...

There is a lot of support out there now for out troops whether you are pro or against the war. It's pretty much the dominating thing in the world today. Think of another profession you hear about each day that filters down to the kids. My son like me change our career desires about every week.

Bre said...

In second grade we wrote a letter to our future selves (not to be opened until high school graduation!) and I remember writing that I wanted to be an artist. Challenging considering I can't draw myself out of a paper bag!

It's so interesting to consider folks wanting to go into the military and I wonder what influence the local politics have on little-boys dreams. Well, little-girls' dreams too for that matter!

Kennethwongsf said...

I think it would be fascinating to do a study by asking adults whether what their current occupations match their childhood aspirations. (The results may look very discouraging though.)

Anonymous said...

serving your country is very admirable and brave...i'm a bit sceptical about why kids want to do it though....over here the advertising kind of glorifies it...i'd be distraught if my kids signed up.

Ryan said...

When I was a kid, I aspirations changed almost every day.

Not much has changed yet.

I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up.

It's honorable to be in the service. Unfortunately, I think kids only see the glamorous side. They only see this side, because the military is very careful in their advertisements etc.

Carrie said...

Interesting.... I was just listening to the TV and a UFC (I know.. I know; I need ambiant noise!) guy just said "We're BORN fighters; I mean, they don't teach little girls not to play war"...

Michael C said...

Ahhhhh, I remember playing CHIPS!!! ;-)

I wanted to be a race car driver. Now I just want to get paid for writing about them. Hmmm, maybe I'm still maturing...
:D

The Exception said...

Just Run - I remember the Persian Gulf incident during the first Bush. It was amazing to see how many people, young and old, were in support of the troupes. It is nice to see that the sentiment has continued into this conflict and "era" - regardless of one's politics, the nation supports the military. It is nice to see.

Scotty - Ah, a product of the Top Gun generation....

Aaron - My generation of my family (my mom's family that is) is the first to not serve. It is kind of odd. There are two of us that serve the country in a different capacity. There are many ways to serve.

Mike - The war is everywhere. The desires of these boys has not been dampened by politics or the media.

Like kids and people, they will probably change their desires many times before they grow up!

Bre - That is great - your young self was creatively inspired! You are an artist, just with people instead of pencils and charcoal.

(I think I will have the Diva write such a letter - what fun)

The role of the media would be another interesting aspect to study. I was also surprised to see that the girls were interested in science and medicine rather than Hollywood and stardom.

Kenneth - If I could find a grant... that would be an amazing study. I know that my professional dreams changed throughout my childhood. I never thought I would end up "here." And you?

Laughing Boy - I have to admit that we don't watch much TV etc, but I don't know that the military is glorified. The news does not glorify at all. Perhaps one of the differences between now and decades earlier is that the negative publicity is focused upon the politicians rather than on the military.

Ryan - Never grow up - that's my philosophy!

The question is - how much of the advertising are kids seeing and how much of the news are they hearing/seeing? Does one have more of an impact than the other? Or is it about video games?

Carrie - True statement. None of the girls wanted to be soldiers though, I have to admit, the Diva is drawn to the ships!

MC - Ah, someone who played Chips!! I always preferred John myself but I was the exception even then! ;)

Write away!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so flattered that you thought of my sis and I, and linked us too!

As for your daughter, I remember wanting to be a ballerina as well as loving to write when I was so little.

It's amazing to me that children actually know what they want to be at such a very young age, and then often make that happen as adults.

I did my dream of being a dancer... and now here I am, working on dream number two. :)