16 November, 2007

Alzheimer's, Cancer, and JELLO

When seeking a partner, how often do we consider the future? I mean, beyond the romance and the butterflies, do we stop and consider how this person will be as a partner during the tough times; when adversity strikes? Do we consider his or her ability to parent? Do we look as far ahead as those days when the two of us share a porch and side-by-side rocker; the days when we eat JELLO and sip tea in silences built from decades of companionship and conversations?
 
How often do we say to ourselves: "This is the person with whom I want to share my JELLO when we are nearing 100 years old." or even, "This is the person with whom I will battle cancer, arthritis, and/or Alzheimer's."
 
Yet, this is the love we seek, isn't it?
 
Aren't we looking for the person who will be by our side through the good times as well as the bad?
 
A few nights ago I sat in the bathtub listening to a song about loving someone forever and ever - as long as old men are talking about the weather and as long as old women are talking about old men (which is another way of saying forever and ever as these two things will truly never end). I considered the idea behind the song and whether or not such an ideal is possible.
 
It is easy to love someone during good times. It is fun to share our happy moments; it is nice to know that there is someone there to celebrate the triumphs or even empathize with the defeatsBut what happens when adversity truly hits?
 
In a world threatened by natural, organic, and man created threats, should we stop and consider how our "love" will behave in an adverse situation before we take the plunge and tie ourselves to that person, perhaps build a family etc?
 
Throughout the past few years, I have watched several marriages with stand the pressures of disease and adversity. I have watched a man's health decline drastically as he has poured everything he has into caring for his wife who suffers from Alzheimer's. I continue to observe my healthy grandfather working and loving my grandmother as her health fluctuates as does her desire to live.  These marriages were decades in the making.  I am also observing a much younger marriage adapt and come to terms with the husband's ALS. 
 
I doubt that these men and women paid much attention to the part of their wedding vows that said "For better or for worse; in sickness and in health..." They were young, in love, and alive with dreams of what the future held.  I doubt that their dreams of marriage and family included Alzheimer's, cancer, heart disease, or the loss of the desire to live.
 
It is so easy to focus on the happy times when we fall in love. It is easy to consider the building of a life together and to dream amazing dreams of what that joined life with include.  It is easy to believe in travel, families, passion, and a love that lasts forever and ever when you are at its beginning. 
 
Perhaps I am old and cynical. Perhaps I have observed and experienced too much adversity in my life thus far as I do expect that a relationship involves stress, disease, old age, JELLO....
 
It involves a strong friendship and a strong stomach. It must be prepared for decline. A relationship is no longer about the flowers, and music, and spats about little things - it is about hand holding, facing mortality, and providing comfort and acceptance.
 
 
 
 

15 comments:

JustRun said...

I get this.
And that is one of my favorite songs. :)

Aaron said...

Good post.

Anonymous said...

We'd all like to find the perfect person for good times and bad, but if we have to choose, is it more important to have someone who will be a great companion for the good times, or someone who will take care of us in the bad times? For me, it's the former, because living a full life while I can is more important to me than maximum comfort during the decline to death.

John said...

She's my best friend. That had to come first. Otherwise we never would have made it this far. How can you truly love someone if you can't be okay with being able to survive accidentally peeing your pants in front of them.

Bre said...

I love that song!

I think for me, one of the most attractive parts of Love is the thought of having someone through those hard parts and being there for someone else's.

Scotty said...

Thats what I want, I don't want a wife, I want more than a wife. I want a partner.

Someone that I know will be there for me, as I would be there for them. Someone whos hand I can hold and know they are there. Someone who cares, someone who supports. In sickness, and in health.

Ryan said...

I think there is a large difference between 'thinking' about the future, and 'imagining' the future.

Most couples that don't get along don't break up simply because they hold on to the thoughts of "what could have been..." which ironically, will never turn out how they intend.

People dream about the future. In the end it's all about making the other persons dream come true - every dream. If you dream of having your partner there when you have cancer... if you have the right partner - that person will be there.

Excellent post.

megabrooke said...

so very well said. i get this. it is about sticking around, facing, and trying to get through both the good and bad times. it's not easy, but it's so important.

and i know i haven't visted in a while, so this comment might be very late, but i love your new header! so pretty!

Anonymous said...

TE, the funny thing (or perhaps not so funny) is that we don't always know how we're going to react to things like illness, death, etc. We have an idea of it, but then ...

I know, as you do, spouses who were brought closer together by life's challenges; I've seen others ripped apart. "For better for worse" isn't taken all that seriously, evidently; even if it is, people should be looking deeper in themselves and their potential spouse before they utter those words.

I watch to see how someone treats others, treats the world, treats himself. In part, that's why I find it easier to date men who have kids; if nothing else, kids get you out of your own head and force you to care for another.

Martin Luther King Jr. said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Smart man, that MLK.

Carrie said...

As usual - well said. It's something that young lovers never thing of... unless they've experienced such a situation, either themselves or vicariously by watching strong marriages. That's what we should be spending most of our time on before making that leap; deciding if they and we are strong enough to stand for the vows we say.

The Exception said...

JR- I like the song too.

Aaron - Thanks!

Walt - Should we have to choose? Isn't love about Sharing all times?

John - I like love, marriage, and best friend each coexisting in the same person.

Bre - It is a great song. Were I looking, I would be seeking the partner and best friend type too.

Scotty - Exactly. Someone to share it all - good and bad, happy and sad, rough and easy... to share it all.

Ryan - Relationships - so complicated! I wonder if we should pay more attention to the world in which we live in that we know that there is a strong chance that decline is possible if not likely. Even if our partner dreams about us being there - will we actually be there and continue to love?

Brookem - You are always a friendly face to see in the comment section! And you do get it!

The picture is one I took Friday on my way to work. Glad you like.

Kat - True, we don't know how we will respond. It is a difficult call and something that, at some level, could be considered before we take the jump. It is nice for me to see people sticking it out, pulling through for one another, and demonstrating that love for the other. I wonder just how common such behavior is in the younger generations?

Carrie - It would be nice to have a way of seeing just how a love/relationship/marriage will withstand adversity and pressure. But then again, if we could see into the future, love wouldn't be such an adventure or a risk. In the end, it is all about trusting your heart and your instincts - scary but worth the risk! ;)

Seven Seas said...

True words, great post. Brought to mind my grandparents and how they stood together through out their lives.

teahouse said...

What a beautiful post!! The Fiance and I are getting married in 4 months, and we just went through our first pre-Cana session. This was discussed. I've also thought about it a lot in terms of my own parents; they've definitely had their struggles and I know there have been days when both wanted to throw in the towel. But something has kept them together all these years.

As a Catholic, I've been taught that divorce is not an option, so I pray that I have the strength to get married and make my marriage last. You sound like a very strong person, and your husband is lucky to have you by his side.

The Exception said...

Teahouse - I wish you all the best. For me, it is all about marrying your best friend and maintaining excellent and honest communication.

But then again, I am not married so... what do I know?! ;)

Farrell said...

I'm starting to think we might be the same person.