14 December, 2007

The Exception in a World of Creativity

There are many things I enjoy about the blogosphere - there are lots of wonderful people, amazingly sexy men, the most fabulous women around, and it is a world in which the written word is the form of communication. (I love reading and love that there are people who love to write!) The blogosphere has something to offer everyone.

Another aspect of this world that I love is the creativity. People are not only writing about their lives and their experiences as people, as men, as women, as parents, as singles...they are doing it with style and often with creativity.

Of late, it feels that I am enduring a creativity block. Whether it is due to the Nutcracker or the future career moves, it is something I am not really enjoying. Yet, I am not inspired; I can not get the juices flowing.

I have folders of pictures that need to be organized and put into the scrapbook - which means designing the pages. For two years I have loved doing this... and now I am just... tired. I am not "feeling it!"

Last year I created a calendar for the Diva. She wanted one again this year - and I fully intended to make her one. But... I have about a week before I fly, and.. well, I am not sure that the calendar is going to happen.

This doesn't mean that I have not been creating. I think being a parent requires great creativity at times... how to answer questions posed by a child; answering questions in a way the child will understand; trying to give the child incentives; attempting to get child and her dad to see the right way of thinking... (that would be my way!) All of this requires great creativity!

Even at work, my mind is always creating...how do I write this in a way that will make X feel good and yet remind him to get the job done? What words should I use to ensure that Y understands the project? How do I charge that 3 hour lunch?

Creative, yes, but not exactly the creativity that I would like to be producing.

I need to explore my imagination; exercise my story telling skills; and pull out all those fabulous descriptive words that leave people feeling as if they are right there, experiencing it all with me.

I need to be able to take the ingredients that life hands me and produce something original and perhaps even exciting...

I need and want to stretch and expand and explore the parts of my mind that seem to be untouched... you know, those covered in inches of dust and cobwebs... those that hide behind the door at the top of that narrow, twisty staircase... the door that is locked, the key is lost, and even if we had the key, the hinges need to be oiled....

Beyond that I need to figure out how to get to that staircase?

Or...

maybe I just need a... muse!

*Note that I had to remove the previous version of this post. The links (of which there were 30 or so) ran together leaving some of them inoperable and others went to one site instead of to individual sites per word... I tried!! That creative block strikes again!!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know these blocks well. I try to tell myself that our minds need them... it's recovery time.

megabrooke said...

I was just talking with Miss Brandy about the block that we experience that seems to come and go every so often.

A muse! What an idea..

Scotty said...

So, are you saying this muse position is open?..

I get blocks all of the time :) So, I just write about my day... or think of something that happened that I thought was funny... or sometimes random voicemails provide entertainment :)

157 posts later.. I guess I have something to say every once in a while.

Scotty said...

And thank you for the link. You are, of course, too nice ;)

Kennethwongsf said...

The treasure trove in that inner psyche of yours is well worth the effort, so, if you can't find the key, you might need to break down that door by force.

The Exception said...

JR - I hate the blocks. I read some of the wonderful things that you and others have written and think... why can't I do that!

Brookem - I can't believe you and Brandy experience blocks - you both have wonderfully exciting lives... and you have that cat! ;)

Scotty - Yes, the position of "Exceptional Muse" is open. I am accepting applications!;)

Kenneth - I am going to need a ramming device of sorts or some sort of explosive as the door is quite resistant!

Jeni said...

You haven't lost the key. You've just put it up somewhere that you know you will remember where you put it and, well don't we ALL know what happens to things when we do that? Of course, you forget where that wonderful hiding place is, don't you? Just keep looking - it will turn up and so will you with some pieces that will really turn a phrase -and a head!

Scorpy said...

I hear ya! :) I have been in a bit of blaah writing stage for a few months. I have been busy with work and the adventures of my LLs. I may have something to write about through these holidays as we have a lot planned and today we are going surfing. Have great weekend and I hope you find your muse :)

The Exception said...

Jeni - Ah... I know that "put it in a safe place" thing quite well. The place is so safe that I can't find it myself. I am currently looking for an earring that lost its back... at least I know it is in a safe place!

Scorpy - Sometimes it feels as if there is so much about which to write... and I just don't do it. When I sit down to tell the story, there is nothing there!

Ah... a muse....*sigh*

Aaron said...

Thanks for the shout-out. I thought it was pretty creative myself -- but not enough to deserve a mention on someone else's blog. :)

My "creativity blocks" usually come from a lack of time to be creative therefore the lack of desire to be creative. Like now, for instance. I need to "create" some time to get a couple good blogs out!