24 March, 2008

The People's House

At the beginning of spring break, the Diva and I went to see a play called Chasing George Washington. 
 
It was a short play designed for a younger audience.  Three children win a tour of the White House for being great students.  They are Hispanic, African American, and a recent arrival from a Slavic country.  While on this tour, they cause a painting of Washington to fall from the wall which allowed George to escape.  Washington proceeds to take the children on a tour of the White House; the house that he designed to be the People's House. 
 
The children inform him, quite bluntly, that they feel as if they do not belong in the White House; they are not represented.  This troubled Washington, who takes it upon himself to show the children that it is their house too. 
 
The play was well done and, for the most part, held the attention of the audience.  The actors did a wonderful job.  But I have to admit that I am not sure that they made their point.  Perhaps the case was made for the younger audience, but as I sat there, I could see that the White House was built for the people... and yet, I am not sure that it belongs to the people now or that it has for quite a while. 
 
On a superficial level, the White House is isolated from the rest of the world.  It is a wonderfully large house surrounded by beautiful grounds.  All of it is restricted.  To enter the White House grounds, one must adhere to security regulations that are a bit more strict than those we complain about daily at the local airport!
 
It is hard to believe that thirty years ago, a high school prom was held in the East Room of the White House!  Or that my mom remembers very little security at all.  The history of the White House is fascinating.  People could drop by and leave calling cards, take tea, and walk the grounds.  It was, in a sense, another wonderful DC monument. 
 
Things changed and security is now required - strict security at that. 
 
But, at a deeper level, beyond the superficial and the physical, does the White House belong to the people?  Is it the People's House anymore?  Given the diversity of our society, does everyone feel like it belongs to them? 
 
Though part of my family arrived in Virginia before the Pilgrims set foot in New England, I am not sure that I feel like the White House belongs to me.  It could be the restrictions and the security measures that I must go through each time I enter its grounds.  But I think it is more than that.  Where the White House used to be part of a city, it is now an island on its own.  Those who live within its walls are very removed from the every day workings of the city around them, not to mention the country at large.
 
Today I am at the White House.  I am looking at antique furniture, paintings, and hearing stories that belong to this house (hopefully).  I wonder if, on my return, I will feel that this house belongs to me or that I belong to it?  I wonder if, like the kids in the play, I will find something within the grounds and the history of this monument,that will allow me to identify a piece of myself and my history/heritage?

5 comments:

Michael C said...

The are only 2 'houses' in the world that I have said I have to see before I pass on. Graceland and The White House.

cathouse teri said...

I'm assuming that most of the teaching they do in the school system is geared toward accomplishing this goal I read quoted by a judge who was making a ruling against home schooling:

"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting the public welfare."

Jeni said...

Sadly, because of various circumstances in our society today, the high levels of security are now a necessity and not just solely due to 911 either.
But the White House -as the building -is still the "people's house" however, it is those who occupy it at various times who turn it into something not belonging to the people, due mainly to their own obtuse reasoning; their own lack of knowledge as to how the real world, not those in their select little circle, actually live.

Kennethwongsf said...

Since the White House is the site of U.S. Presidency, one can argue we all share this emblematic landmark. It's a functional residence with staff and tenants, but a landmark nonetheless.

But when it comes to the presidents who have lived in it, I'd say some belong to the people more than others.

The Exception said...

The White House tour was nothing like I remembered. I believe that one gets more out of the video done by National Geographic about the White House. There are lots of great pictures in the hall leading up to the house - and then one sees the East room, Green room, Blue room, and Red room. And that is all there is to see. It was kind of a let down for everyone, especially the Diva who was excited to see "The White House!"