28 March, 2008

The Race Is On

"Walkers club starts on Monday," the Diva informed me yesterday. 
 
Each spring the school takes part in a program called "walkers Club."  The idea is to get kids to move.  Walker's club last for about 10 weeks.  During that period students are encouraged to walk as much as possible.  For each mile walked they receive a token.  The goal is to obtain as many tokens as possible; to walk as many miles as possible.
 
Last year I thought the Diva would achieve the most miles walked award, no problem as did the PE teacher.  We are full time pedestrians in a world of motorists - how could she not claim the award?
 
But she did not even come close.  Two boys clocked more than 130 miles during the 10 week period!  She topped 100, but 130... seriously?!
 
This year we are determined to top 130!  We have a goal.  We have pedometers.  We are going to count every step (something I was lax on last year because I figured there was no competition - mistake and lesson learned)
 
Today we are testing our pedometers to see how they work and to have a baseline of the number of miles we walk; steps we take daily.  I even have mine clipped onto my clothing, discreetly, so that I can see how much I move at work.   
 
Come Monday we will be ready to go.  This year we know that there is competition.  This year we are going to make those boys eat our dust!
 
(I am going to need a foot massage when this competition is over!)

5 comments:

Jeni said...

And, if you're looking for a way to get an extra almost two miles logged in, you could always come up to Pennsylvania the weekend of April 12th and walk with my family and I in the 3rd annual Penn State Cure Autism Now walk too, ya know!
You two get those walking shoes in gear and walk the socks of the rest of that group!

Scotty said...

Foot massage?

Aaron said...

Why be discreet?

Why not use the publicity to draw attention to the cause?

The Exception said...

Jeni - I am looking into such walks as I think it would be a great experience.

Scotty - Are such massages something for which you have a talent? ;)

Aaron - It is difficult to wear a pedometer when wearing a dress as it has to be clipped near the hip - close to the center of the virtual pant leg. I had to find a location that would meet these requirements. ;)

Anonymous said...

I heard that up in some remote parts of the hills they have "stabbers clubs"