01 May, 2008

Living in the Moment

A little more time
Was all I needed
But somehow Fall became Spring
But put off today
What you can do tomorrow
Sometimes you don't do a thing - Diamond Rio
 
Last week my mom discovered that she has a tumor in her aorta.  At this point, they are not sure exactly where it is, layer wise, but they know that it is fairly large and believe it to be benign. 
 
This came as a shock to everyone as my mom is healthy.  Her family is healthy.  Generations of her family have enjoyed long and active lives - as will my mom.  The prognosis is good in that she will recover and enjoy  an active life.  
 
But she is scared, understandably so.  
 
Health issues are nothing new within the Exceptional family.  We are accustomed to news of cancer and related procedures.  My dad is living with aggressive prostate cancer - for which there is no cure or end in sight.  A cousin in Australia has recently completed her second bout with breast cancer, and my uncle is recovering from stomach cancer.
 
There are many responses my family could take to the situation my mom is facing as well as those who are living with cancer.  We could hide our heads and wait for the end - bemoaning our plight and blaming the world for all that has gone wrong.  We could feel very sorry for ourselves. 
 
But we don't. 
 
Rather, we have learned to educate those around us on the symptoms and living a healthy life. 
 
We have learned to live in the moment and to fulfill dreams whenever possible.  Quality life has become a priority. 
 
I have learned, but not from my family actually but the death of my dearest friend's mom, to be honest with people; to ensure that the words are not left unsaid or that my time with them is not wasted or taken for granted.
 
One of my greatest fears in life is that something will happen to me and I will have a moment to consider all the things that I didn't do; all the words that were left unsaid.  I will have that moment to feel regret that I was too busy focused upon work or challenges or problems.  That I didn't take advantage of my time and live within the moment.  
 
There is so much of the unexpected in life; we never know what will happen next.  It is something I love about life, the continual change and the chance to dream and thrive and grow.  I love the risk and the opportunities to be so much and find out who I am and how I fit. 
 
With all that change comes the reality that it all could end any moment.  The end is not something I dwell upon.  Rather, I have learned to make the most of it all - even when it seems like I am not!
 
We might not have a week or two to contemplate our next move.  There might not be that time and space to focus upon work because "things will slow down... and then I can do it."
 
Diamond Rio's song clicked with me a while back and clicked once again this month.  It is about regret for time passing and inactivity resulting in loss - but it is also a reminder that it is not too late to say the words and do the things the lift your heart and bring quality to your life. 
 
 
In A Week or Two - Diamond Rio
In a week or two
I would have been ready
I would have known what to say
But I missed my chance
When the words I love you
Came just a little too late

In a week or two
I was gonna bring you diamonds
In a week or two
A long, long string of pearls and
We would've run down to the river at night
Sailed away, just me and you
In a week or two

A little more time
Was all I needed
But somehow fall became spring
But put off today
What you can do tomorrow
Sometimes you dont do a thing

In a week or two
I was gonna bring you diamonds
In a week or two
A long, long string of pearls and
We would've run down to the river at night
Sailed away, just me and you
In a week or two

These words in my heart never had a chance to be heard
But Im telling you now for all that its worth

In a week or two
I was gonna bring you diamonds
In a week or two
A long, long string of pearls and
We would've run down to the river at night
Sailed away, just me and you
In a week or two

5 comments:

Mike said...

Sad to hear about your mom. Hope she recovers with little problem.

Aaron said...

Well, while we're being honest.. it's never too late to begin praying.

VA Belles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Exception said...

Mike - Thanks. She will be fine.

Aaron - Very true.

Tiny said...

Hope your mother will recover soon.

Since we never know what would happen to us next, we should enjoy our lives while we still can.