02 June, 2008

Fence Sitting

Sunday afternoon I sat with friends catching up on summer plans, schedules, and the last few months happenings. 
 
"I hear you are looking for a new job?" the friend to my left asks. 
 
I hear this question often of late.  I have honed my response, to some extent - I can't change until the fall so, at this point, I am chatting with people, seeing what is out there, and attempting to decided just what it is that I want to do. 
 
I want a change; I need a change.  Finding that new job isn't turning out to be as easy as I thought.  My résumé is simply, how shall I put it, diverse.  It is a hodgepodge of skills and completed projects that don't equal a specific skill or lend themselves to a specific job type. 
 
Sometimes I envy those who have a very clear idea of what they want in life.  My college roommate was a great example.  She wanted to teach; she became a teacher.  She wanted kids; she has 4.  She wanted to live in the town in which we grew up; She lives in said town.  She always knew exactly what she wanted. 
 
Not me.  I am a walking, talking definition of internal conflict. 
 
I want a new job.  I crave and desire the intellectual challenge and the "making a difference" that I dreamt so long ago.  And yet, I realize the benefits of my current position - flexible hours, flexible schedule etc.  I dream about finding something new and more challenging while I consider the number of hours I will have next summer for leave etc.  I can't have it both ways!
 
Personally, things aren't much different. 
 
I want companionship, intimacy, and to build a history and a relationship.  But I don't want a marriage.  I treasure the time I have with my daughter and the relationship that we share; that would change with marriage.  I suppose I want all the benefits of the relationship with a man that comes with marriage, but I do not want to live together.  I want independent lives. 
 
Again, I probably can't have it both ways!
 
Which makes dating pretty funny.  I mean, I like the idea of the date, enjoy the banter and flirtation, and yet, in person I am a bit more distant because... I am not sure that I really want the possibility of a relationship. 
 
Mixed signals. 
 
I send men mixed signals just as I send the universe mixed signals. 
 
I feel as if I am sitting on a fence.  I like the fence; it is a nice place to sit with great views.  One day I think I want to be on one side of the fence while the next... well, the other side looks quite enticing.  Then there are those days when I gaze longingly at one side while my mind plans as if I am living on the other. 
 
I need to get off the fence.  I need to decide what I want!!

5 comments:

Mike said...

LOL. This reminds me of when my SIL helped me with my resume a long time ago. She looked up from it with totally frustration and said there's no pattern here. Hey I was a jack of all trades, master of none.

It's always easier to know what you want then you can describe your skills to fit it better. Good luck with it.

cathouse teri said...

Yeah. That fence-sitting leads to fencepost-up-the-assing.

No fun. ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, you better have "writing" listed as one of your talents/skills/etc. on your resume. You get it done.

Anonymous said...

I really could have written so much of this. Part of me tells me a change is just what I need to feel different (better?) but then there's the logical part that knows no one thing changes everything.

As for dating... ugh, I cannot comment.

Scotty said...

I'm on that fence also, though casually looking.