19 June, 2008

Sing a Song

When I was in college I studied Italian.  As a liberal arts student, the school required two years (4 semesters) of a second language.  Unlike my friends who studied Spanish or German, or even French, I was one of the few who studied Italian.
 
Most of the people in my classes were, get this, of Italian descent.  (Shocking, I know) They were studying Italian due to the family connection. 
 
I studied Italian because I love the country, the culture, the food, and the people.  I love the language. 
 
When I tell people that I studied Italian for a few years, they are a bit taken aback.  Italian? Surprisingly, it came in handy as some of the most successful fundamentalist groups I studied were based in Italy.  But for the most part, my knowledge of Italian is now limited to the true Italian in this or that restaurant and music - like Laura Pausini.  
 
I know I am having an interesting day when I am in the mood to turn up Io Canto by Laura Pausini as loud as possible in hopes that the beat and the music will fill the halls of my office building.  I want the sounds to rush through the stair wells and the  elevator shafts; the vibrations from people singing and dancing shaking these towers to their very core.  
 
Because, when someone hears a song like Io Canto, how can people not want to move and sing along?
 
There are lots of songs like this though.  Io Canto means "I Sing" and is about all the reasons and times  one might sing.  It is a song that I find fitting as I can always find a reason to sing and a song to fit every occasion.  (And I wonder why the Diva is singing all the time!) 
 
I find myself singing everywhere, from the corner while waiting for the light to turn to the bus stop while waiting for the Diva.  Sometimes I just sing while we walk.  There are times when I sing and don't realize that I am singing.  If my mind can't latch itself on to a particular song, then I make up new words to any melody.  
 
I am a living and breathing illustration of that song I once heard on Sesame Street - Sing, Sing A song 
 
Does anyone else do this?  Does anyone else live their lives to a constantly changing sound track of melodies?

10 comments:

cathouse teri said...

I sing almost constantly. If not out loud, then in my head.

And the song I OFTEN sing is just that one. Sing, sing a song... Make it simple, to last a whole life long!

The Exception said...

Sing out loud, sing out strong...

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I sing at my desk and it takes a good 5 minutes or more for me to realize that probably no one else wants to hear that.

The Exception said...

Love it!! There isn't enough singing in my office - in Italian or otherwise! Keep right on singing JR!

Anonymous said...

I am an awful singer, but doesn't stop me from singing away. :) Have you ever heard THERE FOR ME by Sarah Brightman AND Jose Cura? Brightman sings in English. Cura sings in Italian. When he starts singing, I'm just blown away. If you haven't heard it, download it. If you don't love it, I'll find a way to give you your 99 cents back.

Anonymous said...

Ciao, bella. Che mi dici. Ci vediamo fra poco. Ciao. (I'd add my favorite line: parla sempre ma dica niente - but I'm divorced, and no longer have an italian wife to tease.)

David (come la statua)

The Exception said...

TF - I love her so will definitely check it out!!

DH - *swoon* (it's in Italian so it doesn't matter what you say!)

Anonymous said...

My roommate and I constantly had some song stuck in our heads, and it was usually the same one because we'd hear each other humming or quietly singing around the house! Sometimes we'd get tired of the same song floating around in our heads and we'd be forced to play a list of music in order to change the soundtrack :)

The Exception said...

Emma - Funny how that happens. The Diva and I do the same. Of late it is ABBA all the way as she picked up the words and melodies from Mama Mia.

The Exception said...

Emma - Funny how that happens. The Diva and I do the same. Of late it is ABBA all the way as she picked up the words and melodies from Mama Mia.