18 July, 2008

Return of Super Mom!


It is July... and July in my house means ballet camp and the return of

Super Mom

Believe it or not, I am not one of those women who claims to be a super mom every day of the week. I am doing good when I am being a "good mom" and covering the bases. Being a super mom is something that takes the wind out of my sails, wears me out, and lasts for a very short period of time. Afterward, I require a nice long break with little work, no child related scheduling, and the physical/intimate attentions of a man...(okay, a mom can dream, right?)

Super mom is the woman who truly believes she can successfully do, it, all to the best of her ability. I am not that woman. I came to the conclusion very quickly that I can not give 100% of my time to my career and give 100% to my daughter and 100% to me. Something had to give. The first thing to go is usually, I hate to say it, me.

I do not understand how women can be super stars at work, active parents attentive to their children's needs and schedules, and maintain their role as the femme fatale in the bedroom??? I tried, I think, for a very short period of time. It was hard. I found myself making choices, becoming very frustrated from time to time, and forcing myself to find the time to let the femme fatale out whenever possible (which isn't often enough) because, to be honest, a great career is nice, having a great relationship with my daughter... priceless, but there are times when I need to feel like a woman!! it is a need that has to be met.

Last year I wrote about Super Mom and the week I spent trying to do it all. Doing it all is definitely not easy. It is exhausting and leaves people around me shaking their heads and wondering "why?" Sometimes I find myself wondering why as well.

But the answer is easy. I do it all simply because the Diva loves to dance. It is honestly that simple. This is not my dream, my dream for her, or something that I push. Dancing is her dream, her passion. She says "ballet is in my heart." That, well, is enough reason for me to do what I can to ensure that she can work to make her dream a reality.

Thus, each July I dig my cape out of the closet, wipe away the dust, shake out the spiders and cobwebs, and perform necessary pre-flight checks to ensure that it is ready for action. I then go through box after box to locate the skimpy uniform and tights... and the heals because this super mom doesn't wear boots. Upon surveying the uniform for holes, snags, and general appearance, I must find the little belt and hair bobble because, if you must know, those are the secrets to my power!

Following that description as posted last year, I have received many requests for pictures of me, the Super Mom costume, and me in the costume. Needless to say, I am not going to post the latter (well, not here at least) but I thought it might be fun for those curious few to see just what this Super Mom dons when she is trying to do it all - successful professional, involved mom, and femme fatale! (And there isn't just one uniform - Super Mom is a woman after all!)

Monday - The week begins with high spirits. There is nothing this woman can't do and my outfit reflects my confidence. I am organized and have a strategy - reports, ballet camp, reception at the Kennedy Center... bring it on!

Tuesday - One day under my belt, I am breathing a bit easier as there are just 4 days left to go with the most challenging day behind me.


Wednesday - Is it Friday yet? I put a little pizzazz in my costume to keep me going; to remind me that I really can do it; I really am Super Mom!

Thursday - Moving into tactical mode - forget strategy, I am now responding to whatever comes my way. I am now counting down the hours and wondering if there is a chance that I might get some femme fatale time in the near future.

Friday - Ah, Friday. My second or third and maybe fifth breath kicks in and I am ready to end this stent as Super Mom is style. Watch out men, I am in the area! There is nothing that gives this woman more feminine confidence than... well, not the outfit, but that does help!
Friday night - No man in sight, but who needs one??!! Once again, I have successfully endured a week of doing it all to the best of my ability. I wash out the costumes and put them away for the next situation or occasion that requires me to become Super Mom... (or until I want to feel amazingly sexy and become a femme fatale with some very, lucky, man!)

6 comments:

Scotty said...

You know, it started off as a great post, then as I scrolled down it got better!

Mike said...

What a tease. I thought you were finally posting a pic of yourself.

The Exception said...

Scotty - Glad you enjoyed. I aim to please!

Mike - And ruin my mistique? ;) I do have things like these if not the actual piece pictured so it is like having a picture of me without my being in the picture!

Anonymous said...

those are quite the superhero costumes!! :)

well done

Aaron said...

Now you're just fishing for comments. :P

The Exception said...

Kathryn - Thanks. They are fun to wear too!

Aaron - I take 'em wherever I can get 'em!