21 August, 2008

Flashback

Sometimes I read something that has been written and flashback to another part of my life; another moment in time that may or may not have anything to do with the post or the words that were written.

Scorpy wrote about the anxiety and the excitement of one's first kiss.

Oh, I remember first kisses - not just my very first kiss, but each first kiss. Each has a character of its own that is a perminent part of my memory.

Now, I am not one to downplay kissing in the slightest. In fact, I love kissing. There is so much that one can communicate through a kiss... but when I read Scorpy's post, it wasn't a flashback to my first kiss that played across my mind but of the first time I told a man I loved him and meant it.

Does anyone else remember that moment as we remember our first kiss, our first sexual experience, perhaps even the first time a man told us that we were loved?

"I have to tell you something" I told him as we stood at the door. He was preparing to leave while I would hang out for a few hours before flying home. It is funny that I can't remember where my hands were, but I can remember that I was nude at the time. "I love you" I said, going on to explain that it was what I felt and that I had no expectations, no need for anything in return. I wanted him to know, without doubt, that it didn't matter to me in the slightest whether me loved me back. I didn't want a ring, didn't want promises, in fact, I didn't want anything at all except to give that love to him; for him to know that I loved him for all that he was and what he brought to my life.

Decades later, I wonder who that woman was who had such a notion of love. How did she come to that conclusion or realization? But wow... I do remember the feeling of saying it, sharing that love, and feeling the joy that comes when life seems so full. He didn't say he loved me in return. He smiled, kissed me, and we parted. I don't know how he felt, but I know I felt as if the world was the greatest place to be and that I was thrilled to be a part of it.

It is this moment that flashed into my head when I read about first kisses. It is this woman and her joy that continually remind me how important it is to me and for me to teach my daughter that love is a gift that lives within us. That it is given without expectation of anything in return because love is unconditional.

To date, I love hearing the words, but even more... I love feeling the love and openly giving it to another - no strings attached!

9 comments:

Susan said...

Great post, especially your last line. I'm a big believer that love attracts more love, as they say.

In fact, I believe you may have said this on my blog and the others I/we read, too. (Or something similar!)

And, for the record, I think kissing (when done right) may just be the most intimate, expressive act between two people. I'm thinking it's a one word version of "making love"! :)

JustRun said...

I've wondered before how many times we say "I love you" as substitutes for what might be better said as "I love you for what you've been to me" or "I love you for who you've been with me." But it's okay, because love, even with all that comes with it, is still better than not.

Good post!

said...

I love this. Honestly, love with no expectations, is true love after all!

cathouse teri said...

Yeah, I don't remember any of that. I've done too much kissing and too much falling in love. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!

When reading it I remember the first time someone said to me "I adore you" - it is the single most amazing moment I have experienced! Even the moment he told me he loved me wasnt as special!

I have to agree with Susan - kissing is exceptionally intimate!

dadshouse said...

I totally remember my first kiss, and everything about my first girlfriend. And that open giving feeling of telling someone "I love you" when you really mean it unconditionally? Absolutely a great feeling, and besides saying it to my kids, I think I only felt that way with a woman once - a girlfriend after my divorce. Too bad I didn't know that feeling before I got married, or I might have waited for it before getting hitched.

The Exception said...

I have nothing to add to any of these comments as they stand wonderfully alone.

Kissing is fabulous - I mean, there is no way to describe it though I, like so many, have tried. A kiss just has to be one of the most perfect things in the world to me.

As for love - To give it so freely and without expectation is an amazing feeling. It is to choose to love despite all the little things and even because of them.

Love is one of those things we don't have to learn as it is something we know from the beginning - from within ourselves.

And sometimes I have a hard time remembering all this... it is a work in progress! ;)

braden said...

kissing to me is the most personal and powerful thing and it is often viewed as something so simple. people view it as just a kiss, sex is claimed as the most powerful thing but i strongly believe a kiss is where it all lies. that feeling you felt with the unconditional love will never be lost so long as you always believe in it. keep you head up :)

Scorpy said...

Mmmmm....the first Kiss is always the most memorable :) thanks hun xxx