22 October, 2008

Confessions of a Lady of Leisure

(And wow, do I love that title...I am a lady of... leisure...

Okay, not really but it sounds nice doesn't it? I am drawn to this idea; the idea that it would be nice, just once in a while, to be such a woman... *sigh* just as I am drawn to checking out (just once in a while mind you) the very hot and very attractive (and very young) guys that are around when we hit the Kennedy Center during the academic year. These aren't tourists, they are... college students *blush*

Or as my daughter stated, so pointedly, on Saturday... "There are a lot of teen agers around here." I explained that they are young adults not really teen agers, but you get the point. These guys are young.

I digress...

Of late, I have been playing something like a lady of leisure. My computer crashed at work. It was more like a complete melt down I would say, but the bottom line is the same. (It's circuits were fried after my tantalizing e-mail exchange...
here...) I entered my office prepared to start another exciting day only to find a beautiful and vibrant blue screen. A blue screen that, despite all attempts on my part - hitting, cursing, re-booting, turning off at the power bar, kicking - would not go away.

The IT professional arrived to take my computer Thursday afternoon. The hope was that he would be able to save my files and put them on a new system given that my computer predated the dinosaurs. Our administrative assistant wasn't so sure about the new computer part but... I think that he finally got his way.

Anyway, while all this back and forth was going on, I was able to go home. I was able to work from home. Let me just tell you, it is fun to be home playing hookey from work. It is not so fun to be home because it is the only place you can work! (I have the greatest respect for those who can work from home... and some love it)

But this time away from the office - forced exile - has allowed me to be a lady of leisure.

Last Friday, rather than sitting in my office contimplating the structural integrity of my latest paper clip masterpiece, I had coffee and a long (and too short) chat with a Llama. Yes, you read that right... a Llama. Now, back in Arizona, my aunt and uncle had a llama or two (that is true) and I can tell you from personal experience that the Llama I met on Friday was much nicer, much more fun, and just amazing! Most llamas are... well, they spit!

Yesterday, Monday that is, I enjoyed the sun streaming through the windows next to the computer and the bright blue sky. Wow, so this is what a window office feels like!! I kind of like it, but... I didn't get much work done as the sky was blue, the sun was bright, and there were things to do. Other things besides work. This included attempting to rescue a cat from the neighbors balcony - my cat it was and she wasn't very interested in coming back on our schedule. (She came back on her own as cats are prone to do) It also included a wonderful exchange with my muse - the results of which left both of us wondering exactly where the conversation began! Ah... now that is the life of leisure. Philosophical conversations and coffee with friends!

Tuesday was my last day at home. The wind howled around the house foretelling of the winter soon to come and suggesting that the day isn't as warm as it appears from my computer chair. Tuesday found me reading (because that is what women of leisure do, no?) I made lunch plans for later this week, check to see when I could get to the German bakery, and watched the time more closely in order to meet the Diva's demands (ballet!)

And I didn't write anything! My mind, for the first time in a long time, had thoughts spinning that could not be caught. My brain had nothing about which to post.

I have truly hit Lady of leisure status!!

And thus, I leave you with this post. My last few days have been eventful but not eventful. I have enjoyed staying home, the extra exercise, the covnersations, the coffee, the plans... I have enjoyed the sun streaming through the window and wearing whatever it is I want to wear. I even enjoyed two very diverse Kennedy Center productions - one of which found me ready to leave after 15 minutes while the Diva was glued to the opera glasses and her chair for an hour and a half!!

Being a Lady of leisure wasn't exactly what I imagined. There aren't pool guys or drinks with little umbrellas pool side... there isn't even a pool! There aren't maids and cooks running around the place ensuring that I don't have to lift a finger. Mostly, it was relaxed and quiet - very quiet. It was a nice change of pace but, in all honesty, I was ready to go back to my office!!







8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to be a Lady who Lunches. Although if offered Leisure status I wouldn't turn that down either.

And speaking of lunch, I'm excited about Thursday. We've got some things to chat about!

Anonymous said...

OOHH that does sound rather like an ideal life - for a limited period!!

Its nice to have the peace and quiet until it becomes to familiar!!

dadshouse said...

Oh man, you hit on exactly why I love working from home! I have enjoyed staying home, the extra exercise, the covnersations, the coffee, the plans... I have enjoyed the sun streaming through the window and wearing whatever it is I want to wear.

Bet you can't go back to work...!

said...

I think I actually get more done when I work from home. Every one just sits in my office to chat all day... Especially after this weekend when everybody wants to hear the whole story. Ugh! I'm tired of reliving it over and over and over...

Mama Llama said...

Oh, T...I am sure you are.

Um...honey, this Llama can spit like no other. Don't be fooled by a seemingly pleasant exterior!

Looking forward to the next time, spit or no spit.

It is nice to have vacation "forced" upon us once in a while. I find that it usually gives me a break that I would normally deny myself, the work-a-holic that I can be. Working from home now can be hard in that I have to discipline my work-time from my me-time since they share the same space. Fortunately, I am extremely disciplined. But that can also be seen as a negative...

Must go--watching 2 four-year old boys today. When it's quiet, you KNOW something is up...

Be well, TE.

The Exception said...

Liz - Yes 11:30, I am there (back in the office but still enjoying a lady of leisure life)!

Harassed - It is something I think I could get used to though I noticed that time seem to fly by without my really knowing where it went!

T - Some days my office is like that, phone ringing, people walking in and out... nothing gets done. I am sure you are tired of telling the story over and over again... perhaps a mass e-mail?! ;)

DH - Oh, I am ready to go back to work!!! I do like doing this though as think I would really like it when the weather is perfect!

ML - Ah, you can spit? That is a skill I never mastered! You hit upon the issue though. Work and home life were suddenly in the same room, in the same house, and sharing the same time. I didn't like that very much!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I love working from home. For all the reasons you listed, and also, because fully dressing is an option, not a requirement.

Anonymous said...

You're not truly a lady of leisure until you spend the afternoon eating bonbons while watch Oprah and the soaps.

Still, you came close.

Now, get back to work!
;-)