27 September, 2007

Home Made Celebration

"Don't tell, but we should have a surprise party for Daddy next time he comes for dinner."
 
And thus, the planning began.
 
September is a birthday month in our family - Grandpa, Daddy, and I all have birthdays in mid-September.  The Diva is kept quite busy ensuring that our birthdays are recognized.
 
This year, Daddy was abroad for his birthday.  Although she was a bit disappointed that the celebration would be postponed, the Diva realized that this would give her more time to plan.
 
She is nothing if not creative, I might add.
 
Yesterday was the big day - the day that Daddy was coming to dinner and that we would celebrate his birthday.
 
The Diva was thrilled.  We didn't need to purchase anything, she had a plan.
 
Daddy walked into the house to find it decorated with scarf, ribbon, and jump rope streamers in unexpected locations to include a ceiling fan, microwave, pictures, TV, and chairs.  But the greatest decoration was the enthusiastic smile that shown from the Diva - from her curls to her toes.  She was one delightfully happy child.  Even her skips and bounces shown with happiness
 
It was not a traditional birthday - no cake, no ice cream, no candles or confetti.  It was a birthday that was about love and time shared.
 
"Bye Daddy.  I love you."  She called out the window as he left - and the joy of the child, the evening, and the decorations illustrated her feelings quite nicely.

11 comments:

Michael C said...

Very, very nice. That is how all birthdays should be.

JustRun said...

Scarf and jumprope streamers. I would remember a birthday like that forever.

TAG said...

You have one awesome child there. Too many people focus on material things. Sounds like the Diva has figured out those things break, are lost or simply are forgotten. A birthday like you described will never grow old. Your dad will remember it fondly forever.

Love the old saying: "It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

TAG

Kennethwongsf said...

Little moments like that are so rare to come by and so precious!

cathouse teri said...

Curls to her toes. What a perfect phrase.

The Diva and her Exceptional mother. You should write a children's book. I love the book written by Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster) for his daughter. It's called, "The King Who Rained."

My daughter planned a party like that for her friends one Valentine's day. Did it all herself. Her friends just said, "This party sucks." Makes my heart ache even recalling it.

By the way, regarding breasts. I think you mostly mention them when asked about them.

But even if that were not so, you can mention them all you want! They're yours!

Scorpy said...

Well done...this is exactly the same way my ex and I treat our birthdays...well at least I tell the ex that OUR birthdays are more about the girls, as they love them. My daughters make cards, and wrap stuff I will never use but the joy of seeing their smiling faces and the eager anticipation as they wait for me to unwrap the "..you'll love it Daddy" present is worth more than anything.:)

Anonymous said...

...yes yes, good good...now lets get back to breasts...

Anonymous said...

ok laughing boy....do I need to scissor kick you in the head?

Steph said...

Awww, so cute.I'm sure he appreciated it.

The Exception said...

MC - It was truly nice.

Just Run - She was so excited and, I won't soon forget.

TAG - That is a nice saying. She is truly not a material based child. I receive loads of art projects for my birthday.

Kenneth - Moments like that are one of the reasons I keep writing. I want to remember them always.

Teri - I will have to check out that book. Her Dad and I wrote her a book a few years ago. She loved it.

No worries, I will talk about my breasts whenever I like!! ;) (Probably not as much as Wombat and Laughing Boy would like though! ;) )

That hurts my heart about your daughter. Her effort and creativity were worth more than anything she could have purchased.

Scorpy - I went through nearly a decade without any real attention paid to my birthday which was fine with me. Then... along came the Diva and I had cake, candles, songs, and a birthday that lasted for weeks on end. Her gifts are each Diva originals. Everything she does is from her heart, which makes it all so very special.

And you know exactly what I mean...

LB - Patience....

BD - Thanks for keepings things in order around here! ;)

Steph - I do hope he appreciated it. As he doesn't live with us, she expresses herself as much as she can when she can.

Scotty said...

Your post made me smile..

It was a birthday that was about love and time shared.

Those are the nest ones :)