11 October, 2007

Hey Good Lookin', What ya Got Cookin'

How about cookin' something up with me...
 
Men who cook are sexy, no?
 
There is something about the man who comes home from the office or in from the great outdoors, rolls up his sleeves, washes his hands, and begins to cook. 
 
I don't know about you, but I think a man who knows his way comfortably around the kitchen is, sexy.  Not only do they tend to enjoy cooking, but they do it well. 
 
I do enjoy baking when it is cold outside.  There is nothing like the smell of cookies baking when the snow is falling or an icy wind is blowing through the trees.  Baking relaxes me.  I only wish I had a larger kitchen. 
 
But when it comes to cooking, cooking meals day in and day out... well, that is just not my cup of tea.  It is probably a good thing that I live with the Amazingly Picky Diva and do not have to cook for either a large family or a... man!Generations of women in my family have cooked the family's meals - dinner in particular.  They did it without complaint, though I am not sure that they enjoyed the task. 
 
perhaps that is why I don't like to cook.  I see it as a job rather than as a delight.  I wish I were more like Ruby, taking great pleasure in spices, recipes, and cooking.  From what I have read - Ruby can cook!!
 
Perhaps that is why I find a man, comfortable in the kitchen, sexy... they don't see it as a job.  For them, it is something they enjoy (the men I know that is).  They experiment.  They play with this and that spice.  They try this and that combination of ingredients until they get the taste that they desire. 
 
How is this not sexy??
 
My dad grills, which is, of course, the guy thing to do.  Rain, sleet, snow, hail, or whatever other weather is thrown at him, he continues to grill. 
 
My brother started cooking when his wife was pregnant with one of their middle kids (they have 5 boys under 7 years old).  I think he cooks fairly often, but am not too sure.  His second oldest son (5 next month) is saving his pennies to buy himself a play kitchen.  My brother is not happy about the idea.  I am not exactly sure why.  There are lots of very manly men that... cook!
 
And the Diva's dad... well, let's just say, When he is around, I stay out of the kitchen!  I don't think that anything I could cook would qualify as a meal as far as he is concerned.  That man can cook!  It is a passion that he is sharing with the Diva... who also likes to cook though, for her, it is more of a science experiment.  
 
Garlic, sage, rosemary....simmering, boiling, grilling...chopping, slicing, dicing...  I anticipate the meal being prepared (as well as the man preparing it).  Am I alone in finding a man who can cook sexy?   
 
Well, hey, hey sweet baby, don't you think maybe, we could find a brand new recipe...

11 comments:

JustRun said...

Holy heck, 5 boys under the age of seven?! sorry, I forgot everything I was going to say after that.

But yes, cooking can be a very attractive "talent."

Beth said...

I totally agree with you. I love watching a man cook. My list of things in an ideal man would include the ability and desire to cook for me. I am willing to clean up afterwards, but would absolutley adore a man who would make me lasagna from scratch.

cathouse teri said...

Definitely sexy. Even a man just making a salad is sexy. No doubt about it.

When my mother gives that exasperated sigh over the fact that I turned out to be a.. well let's just say.. playful kitten, I remind her that she raised me on songs just like this one. How did she expect me to turn out? ;)

By the way, your brother is INSANE!

Scotty said...

My dad doesn't cook. He doesn't even grill.

I like to cook, although it is definitely not as much fun when its just for yourself. I have found that when with a girl, I will even go so far as to have other friends over to have dinner. But for me an only a friend... not so much. Weird huh?

My dad is learning, slowly how to grill.. from my mom, as am I :)

Aaron said...

I grew up in a home where my folks argued about who was going to cook that night and what. One was often running the other out of the kitchen. I always found this humorous because my friends would often complain about their parent's cooking. The only complaints we had was it took too long for the parents to figure out who was going to dominate the kitchen that evening. :D

I cook, but not as often as I used to. I never really cook for myself (requires too much effort for too little food). But I enjoy cooking for others. I wish I was more of a baker, though. Baking intimidates me, but I'm not afraid to try throwing together just about anything in the kitchen.

megabrooke said...

oh how i would love to find a man who is good in the kitchen. wicked sexy, agreed.

JsTzznU said...

Don't know if "I" find it sexy hahaha as I'm the one doing the cooking! BUT I do love to cook and try out new things. My wife does seem to like my cooking.. heck her and her kids now eat things they never thought they would =)

Scorpy said...

I LOVE cooking and my daughters help me all of the time. We do roast dinners and pasta dishes and even stretch to the odd baking attempt with cakes and biscuits. The three of us have started a database of our favourite dishes and one of them reads out the instructions as myself and the other daughter make it. They are great times in out little kitchen :)

justacoolcat said...

I love to cook and I do it well. Also, I think I'm damn sexy.

Though I'm with you on the day in and out thing. I only like to cook a few nights a week tops.

Michael C said...

I would love to get better at cooking. I can BBQ the heck out of raw meat though...

The Exception said...

JR - Yes, 5 boys! The youngest two are twins but... they are all boys!

Beth - It is nice to have a man cook for you. If I lived with the Diva's dad, I would never cook; he just loves doing it and does it well.

Teri - It is a cute song. And yes, even making that salad can be sexy when a man does it.

Scotty - That is great that your dad is learning! Sounds like you need to do more entertaining! ;)

Aaron - Now that would have been quite a way to grow up - each parent wanting to cook. I agree, cooking for one is simply not the same.

Brookem - There are loads of guys out there who like to cook these days, which is delightful!

Jstzznu - Ah, you hit on another great thing about a man in the kitchen, they experiment a bit more where I, at least, am tied to a recipe. My additions don't create great meals!

Scorpy - Quality time in the kitchen... that is what the Diva's dad and she enjoy as well. Cooking is a great family activity!

JACC - Of course you are sexy - you cook, you like cats... what is there not to find sexy! ;)

MC - With all of your kitchen technology, I thought you were a chef! ;)