06 November, 2007

Hey baby I'M Your Telephone Man

I am not sure about your experiences with service technicians, but mine have always been very low key.  Usually a young guy, in jeans and a shirt, arrives at the door within the allotted window, focuses on his work, puts up with my cats attempts to help, and leaves without much conversation.  They are nice enough.  The experience is just low key.  This was exactly what I expected yesterday when I went home to wait for the guy to come and check my internet cable connection.  
 
Having spent the morning running from parent - teacher conference to work to lunch, and finally home, I was not in the mood to even bother straightening the house a little.  Instead, I prepared my lunch (which I grabbed on the way home), changed into a baggy shirt and holey shorts,  and settled in to read The Confidential Agent.
 
Then the technician arrived.  
 
I opened the door expecting nice guy in jeans and Tee only to be stunned.  There, before me, ascending the stairs, was GQ High Speed Internet Technician. 
 
*Gulp*
 
Where was the guy in the jeans? 
 
This nice smelling, slacks and nice sweater wearing, graceful (not exactly a masculine word but it fits), tall man could not be hear to mess with cables and connections and cat hair and dust!
 
As he waited for the computer to tell him what was wrong, he asked if I had a child.  
 
me, a kid?  You have got to be kidding.  The Lego, crayons, art projects, and other items that appear to belong to a seven year old are actually the things I do to occupy my free time.  
 
"Yes," I answered.  "Just one."
"Are you wanting to have more?"
"No, one is enough."
"Is it too much?"
"No, Just enough."
 
Did I just have this odd conversation with the technician?
 
He headed upstairs to check my cable box.  I went to the window to ensure that he was driving the right kind of car.  Who knew when the company was supposed to arrive?  Who knew I had even called the company?  Due to my job, I have been trained to look for odd situations and note them - to be slightly paranoid.
 
Cable working, he came back downstairs to ensure that the computer connection was active and ready.   
 
"are you married?"
"Nope."  This is just a bit odd.  Why am I having this conversation.
"Not Married?  You are so beautiful.  Why are you not married?"
"Thanks.  I don't know why I am not,"  I shrugged my shoulders.  "I am just not."
 
I was a bit flustered now.  I should have started looking for the camera crew as this seemed more like someone's fantasy unfolding over a real life experience. 
 
"Where are you from?"
I told him  the state though I knew he expected a different response.  Unfortunately I could not tell him that I was Irish, or Scottish, or even Australian.  My southwestern state of origin isn't exactly the exotic or romantic answer that is associated with those locations. 
 
"And you?"  I was now on comfortable footing.  I had been attempting to determine his origin based on his accent.  He is from Argentina - where his X wife still lives.  He lives here with his tween son. 
 
I was trying to hurry him out the door.  This was just too weird.    My was I feeling chemistry with this guy?  Does he have this effect on all the women he meets?  I wonder if he often finds himself doing more than just fixing the internet connection when he makes a house call? 
 
Yes, all these thoughts were running through my head as I attempted to hurry him from my house, and he attempted to find reasons to stay a few seconds longer. 
 
Finally he left, shaking my hand as he went.  I am sure he felt as if he had just left a very odd house with a very odd woman at its helm. 
 
I went back to reading my book - but I think that I will expect the unexpected from my service technicians in the future. 

7 comments:

JustRun said...

Until you said he was Argentinian, the questions all seemed very odd and forward to me. But that explains a lot. I have two Argentinian friends and they are very similar in that way.

My service folks are always well-mannered, middle-aged, quiet guys. Nothing to write home about.

Bre said...

Like JR I never get any interesting service folks! boo!

Aaron said...

Damn.

For the life of me, I can't think of one single lewd joke to make about this situation. :/

Anonymous said...

Why couldn't the Argentinian nice smelling, slacks and nice sweater wearing, tall, graceful man have met you somewhere else? Like...the grocery store...

Scotty said...

I too would be a bit weirded out by those questions.

Well, it may be different if it were a girl. Well, and what she was wearing.. of course.

The Exception said...

JR - I don't know any Argentineans, but I know that there are cultural differences that would excuse some of it... like the touching. He touched my arm or shoulder a few times. Nothing rude or over the top, just something that would have seemed flirtatious were he not from a Latin country.

Bre - This was a first!! They do exist - the service guys that are a bit beyond expectation.

Aaron - Yea!! Your were stumped. I love it!

Ruby - I thought the same. I could have given him my card I suppose, but... it will have to be chalked up as one of those moments to be savored and enjoyed for the moment that it was.

Eric said...

Interesting situation. Maybe I should become a service tech.