12 November, 2007

A little Sun on a Gray Day

The weather has been freezing cold here; winter like temperatures. Yet, it is just November.  I am not ready for winter!  I was looking forward to crisp evenings with bright days in which I could spend time enjoying the fall colors and the changing seasons.  I was anticipating a gradual cooling of day time temperatures...
Instead the temperatures fell suddenly and drastically.  The sun and the blue skies have been replaced by clouds; thick clouds of a gray color.  It feels, smells, and looks like it is going to snow.  In fact, each morning I have peered out my window on the way to the shower almost expecting to find... snow!
 
In the midst of all these gray, cold, and dismal days, it is easier for me to note the little things that bring in the light.  Sometimes it is a little thing that will get me through the day or leave a smile on my face before I sleep. 
 
One of my most favorite little things when the weather is cold is... the sun.  I take the sun for granted so much of the year and dislike it greatly during the humid summers.  But during the winter, the sun streaming through one of my windows is one of the most inviting sites.  I am definitely not above sitting on the floor, in that patch of sun, and soaking up its warm, its light, its everything. 
 
The smell of baking is another of those little things that delights me.  I don't even know that it matters what is being baked - though I do prefer the smells of bread, cinnamon,... In summer, the smell of someone grilling touches my taste buds and makes me smile.  In the winter, when it is cold, it is those warmer smells - the idea of hot soup, pumpkin pie, warm bread, freshly baked cookies....(I don't know about you, but now I am feeling nice and warm and hungry!)
 
So many little things - warm pajamas, fluffy blankets, a body next to me in the bed warming the sheets...
 
Hot tea with a nice aroma or a subtle hot chocolate - each can spread warmth through a sip or two.  
 
  And there are just so many more...*sigh*  So many little things that can make a day seem less cold, and my heart feel more receptive to the world at large. 

5 comments:

Bre said...

Oooh I could really go for a nice cup of tea right now... hmmm...

Michael C said...

Nothing beats a warm bed on a cold morning. ANd nothing beats the warmth of the sun on your face. At least I think so. Man, the Beach Boys nailed it with their song by the same title!!

Anonymous said...

Here's one of the nice things about being friends in the blogosphere — we can send you a little cyber-note to make the world seem a little less cold ...

Aaron said...

I'm amazed at how some people's emotions are tied to the seasons. I've never been adversely affected by weather patterns, but some people truly seem to suffer for it. :(

The Exception said...

Bre - Try the tea from www.specialteas.com. They are amazing!!

MC - The sun... ah, we need the rain but, I do love the sun on days as we have had of late.

Kat - And those notes and comments are just a few of those "little things" that do make the day a bit brighter.

Aaron - I never was one of those people until I moved from Arizona to Europe where there was less sunlight - the weather was less passionate as well. I need the sunlight - and there are lots of us out there! For me, it is sun more than seasons as I love the changes in season and all the ways that nature adapts etc.