07 December, 2007

If you Need me...

You can find me hiding under the covers waiting for the Nutcracker to end!!

 

That is my dream... ah... if only it could be my reality!  (Sunday afternoon, it will be!)

 

"Do you ever get tired of this music?"  I asked the Diva as we walked home from ballet Tuesday night. 

 

"No."  She was surprised that I would even ask.  "Do you?"

 

Now that is a question.  "Yes," I responded honestly. 

 

Starting in October, the music of the Nutcracker becomes a part of my life.  I find it playing in my head when I least expect it... I shower with the Snowflakes, work with the Court Jesters, cook with the Flowers.  The Nutcracker and I march our way through the halls at work and along the sidewalks when we are out and about.  I am sure that even my dreams involve a bit of Tchaikovsky's composition. 

 

But it isn't just the music, this year the Nutcracker has invaded so much more of my life.  I have promoted, marketed, designed, and steamed.  When I wasn't doing these things, I was venting, brainstorming, and attempting to find ways to increase the audience size and community awareness of the school. 

 

And... if that wasn't enough, given that the Diva has a more significant role this year, I have invited friends and teachers to share in the experience.  I have a row and some on both days of the performance.  I have also received word that her school's news will wish her all the best on Friday!  (That will be a nice surprise for her) 

 

I have gone nuts over the Nutcracker!  The music is playing out in my steps and in my actions... and even, apparently, in my thought process.  (Now if only I could get that prince to rescue me...)

 

Don't get me wrong, I think that the Nutcracker music is very nice.  I enjoy watching the ballet, especially the different styles of dance.  But, after a few months of hearing the music over and over... well, I am happy when it is all over, and I will not have to hear the music for about 10 months - when it will start all over again!

8 comments:

JustRun said...

I cannot imagine. If someone plays too much Christmas music too early, I lose it. I can't imagine the same few songs for over two months. Hang in there... and blast some VanHalen or something when you're in the car alone. :)

Mike said...

It's a gift of the young not to get tired of repetition. I know as I get older I don't even need to hear it once to be tired with it already.

Scotty said...

and I am sure that when you see her perform in front of everyone.. it'll all have been worth it :)

TAG said...

My former office manager teaches ballet to a couple of dozen little diva's just like yours. She and I talked Tuesday about this very same thing. The months and months of preparation wear you down. No matter how lovely the music, now matter how beautifully choreographed the dance, no matter how bright the smiles on performance day you just want it to END. PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS.

The difference between the parents who really love their children and the ones who pay it lip service lies in how much effort they will put into making the performance special. After all, it really is all about the children.

Congrats to your little diva. I'm sure she will do well. And, come Sunday afternoon, congrats to you as well. You will have survived another holiday production. (Survived just in time to begin working on the spring recital. Errr, did I say that, sorry about that.)

Enjoy your weekend.

TAG

Have the T-shirt said...

Everytime I hear music from The Nutcracker I am reminded of the year Jeremy was 4 and I took him to our local ballet's production of it.

When it was all over I asked him if he like it.

"Yes, other than the music and the dancing, it was really good."

Well, crap.

My niece danced in The Nutcracker every year and I remember my sister going thru what you are, but it was always worth it when she saw her little girl up there dancing. You will LOVE it.

Bre said...

You're a strong, strong, lady!

Jeni said...

It's kind of hard when you are "hearing" music in your mind to describe it in words. I know various melodies from the Nutcracker but don't know it well enough to say which scene it is from or what ever, but just know that right now, the mere mention of that music has this going over and over in my head as I type. Dum da de dum dum, da da da. do-de-do-de do-do -la la la. I can hear it and probably now will wake up with it playing again in my head. Not bad though as I do love the music and the dance.

Kennethwongsf said...

Consider yourself fortunate. There are worse music you can be stuck with.

For instance, if you were riding in the same car with my little 17-year-old cousin, you'd be listening to an endless loop of "I believe I can fly ..." (Then you'd really wish you can fly away.)