13 February, 2008

Ice

I woke up to find that my world, that world that lives just beyond my windows and my door, had turned into a fairy land. 
 
While I slept, the winter fairy flicked her little wand and...
 
crystals appeared...everywhere. 
 
While much of the rest of DC complained about traffic and slick spots and schools making bad decisions, the Diva and I walked through a crystal wonderland. 
 
Feet in warm boots, umbrellas protecting us from the light rain... we "oooed" and "ahhhhed" at the little changes that magically appeared over night. 
 
I would have loved to take pictures.  The trees were cloaked in crystals - about a centimeter of ice decorating each limb and branch.  Ranging from translucent to white, they were something to behold. 
 
I could have done without the ice on the sidewalks - or the fall on the ice as I walked to work, but it was all worth it just to see the trees. 
 
As I walked in and marveled at the site, I wondered how many people had stopped to note the transformation?  How many took a moment to recognize nature for all that it is? 
 
Old Man Winter took a few minutes of his time last night to remind us that, believe it or not people, it is still February.  People were stuck on highways for hours due to accidents and poorly treated roads.  Schools were canceled today or delayed.  In the past 16 hours, people have had to rearrange their lives. 
 
I know that they have taken a lot of time to complain and cast blame on anything and everything possible.  Because, there has to be someone at fault.  Life just can't happen. 
 
But, did any of them stop to see the beauty around them?
 
 
(I tried to find pictures, but there just aren't any as of yet... but here is one!)

4 comments:

Jeni said...

How well I recall when I was living in Maryland (Prince Georges County) about 40 years ago and dreaded when winter arrived mainly because there are so many people who live and work in that vicinity who haven't the foggiest notion of how to drive when the roads get slick, snow-covered, heaven forbid, ice encrusted too! Pulling away from an intersection to those clowns meant pressing the gas pedal to the floor and fish-tailing all over the place. Coming to a stop? SLAM on the brakes, for heaven's sake, why would anyone care to slow down, gently pump the brakes to possibly avoid sliding into something, or someone. Always something that just amazed me ya know.
Now, if you'd like to see some really "magical" changes from Mother Nature, come up my way and see the foot of snow deposited here yesterday -giving us a snow day then and more snow (and ice) today, giving yet another snow day today. But it is really pretty, I'll definitely agree with that. As long as I can sit in my house, have plenty of fuel to keep the place warm, power so I can cook and not have to worry about trying to get from here to any other place on the roads!

Scotty said...

I really really like watching snow fall.

Aaron said...

I always stop to take photos... except for yesterday when the boys went into hibernation during the motorcycle ride home. For once, I didn't enjoy the snow flurries.

bbbrrrrrrrr

The Exception said...

Jeni - Yes, there are lots of crazy people out there. In bad weather, people around here should walk or stay home!

Scotty - I love watching it snow too, especially while sitting in front of a crackling fire!

Aaron - I can't even imagine!