21 February, 2008

There's a Snow Day a comin'

I am predicting that we will have our one and only snow day of the winter this Friday. 
 
and that it probably will be ice rain instead of snow.  Delightful.  Inches and inches of ice.  Well, maybe not that bad.  I remember living in Nebraska one winter and, well, it was that bad.  Inches of ice topped with inches of snow.  I thought it would never end. 
 
Tomorrow we will not have inches of ice.  It doesn't take inches of ice to close schools and leave me house bound wishing  that I was sitting before a fire place with a crackling fire and a great book. 
 
Instead, I will turn on the furnace and spend the day attempting to find silence and peace in a small space with a child that is going through a "talkative" phase.  This phase includes constant and continuous, at a fairly loud volume, mostly meaningless chatter. 
 
In order to maintain my sanity (and if you doubt that this will be a challenge, then I dare you to try hanging out in such conditions for a prolonged period of time!)  I will require and desire diversions. 
 
Lots of diversions!
 
Although I have a few things that I can do... finish the Diva's calendar and continue working on her book for the upcoming holiday season, I am craving a writing challenge.  A creative writing challenge that is. 
 
And so, I am seeking input from you. 
 
Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated... whether it be questions to answer, song titles or lyrics or even famous quotes upon which I can ponder and wax poetic... you name it.  All ideas are welcome!!
 
I beg of you, help me maintain my sanity!  I don't want to end up in a comatose state, staring out the window watching the ice build up on wires and railings.

11 comments:

JustRun said...

Write about your favorite place, or one of your favorite places, anyway. This always, always works for me. The words come easy, almost too easy.

Mike said...

Prepare the best you can. I don't want to read about a "Shining" incident.

Balou said...

Enjoy the solitude! Here's some quotes that might spark a writing diversion:

"When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other." Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

"It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree."
Charles Baudelaire (1821-1867)

"Heroing is one of the shortest-lived professions there is."
Will Rogers (1879-1935

and my favorite...

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
James Thurber (1894-1961)

Scotty said...

Song/poem about your most favorite childhood memory.

Seven Seas said...

Diversions eh? Hmm...

Just as the finest swordsmith
tempers the finest blade with his experience, so the sage, with wisdom, tempers intellect. With patience, tangled cord may be undone, and problems which seem insoluble, resolved. -from the Tao Te Ching

She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring. -Zelda Fitzgerald

Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more. -Mark Twain

I want to believe in myself once again
So I dream of a man whose hopes never end
To kiss with a girl who's as lovely as you
I'd give you my heart, if you gave me the truth. -Flogging Molly "Black Friday Rule"

The Exception said...

Oh, how exciting. Many different ideas and thoughts to contimplate... and that will probably be done to the theme from Giligan's Island as the Diva loves that show.

We have ice, no snow, and more icing expected throughout the day! Winter's last gasp?

Aaron said...

http://clearlyridiculous.blogspot.com/2008/02/some-wisdom.html

I'll write one of my own shortly...

Kennethwongsf said...

One rainy evening in 1816, Mary Shelley, her husband P. B. Shelley, and Lord Byron gathered by a fireside to read German ghost stories to one another. Afterwards, Byron suggested they should each pen their own ghost story. And so from Mary Shelly's imagination emerged Frankenstein, one of the most famous horror story of the romantic era. (Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 116: British Romantic Novelists, 1789-1832.)

How about writing a ghost story?

The Exception said...

Wow... I am now feeling amazingly challenged!

Kat Wilder said...

You should write down the Diva's talk in her talkative phase. I promise you; at some point, she'll stop talking to you, and you will miss it ...

The Exception said...

Kat - She is into filming herself talk, so... I have lots of little videos recording her chatty self!