03 March, 2008

No Longer Interesting?

She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring. -Zelda Fitzgerald
 
 
Seven Seas sent me this little gem a few weeks ago.  I loved it.  Although I don't consider myself to be anything like Zelda Fitzgerald, I do agree with this thought. 
 
I have never considered myself a boring person and thus, I do not do boredom!
 
I never considered my life to be dull either until Saturday. 
 
Saturday I drafted an e-mail to a friend.  I love writing e-mail and letters.  I write in a very stream of consciousness form so they tend to be entertaining and heart felt.  Before  I clicked "send" I reread the note...
 
When did my life become boring or dull?
 
I was seriously stunned.  I had nothing of interest to say.  The high point of the letter was in regards to a white dress that I thought about buying.  I thought that, for the summer, my skin might be dark enough to wear white.  And perhaps my skin might tan enough but that would not have stopped the dress from making me look like a cotton ball or a marshmallow!  The dress simply didn't have a shape - and a shape is required when your figure is a classic hour glass like mine.
 
The Diva, however, loved the dress.  She wants it for herself.  Maybe one day it will fit her (not likely given her dancers body already) or she can use it for dress up!
 
That, people, was the high point of the note.  The most exciting thing that has happened in my life was... a little ditty about a white dress!
 
I sent the note and considered the reality of my situation. 
 
I am a parent with a full time job.  My time is spent running my daughter to and from school and ballet.  Gone are the days of my late 20's when I was foot loose and fancy free; when I could exercise my right to travel at the drop of a hat; when life was about friends and socializing and exploring and theorizing... and not driven by schedules and conflicts. 
 
Somewhere, in the last few years I grew up!
 
I told a friend about my situation this morning.  He chuckled, "You were at the Kennedy Center yesterday and have all these tickets for future performances and adventures here and there, and you are complaining that your life is dull."
 
Point taken.
 
Perhaps it is not that my life is boring or that I am dull, but more that I simply don't have anything of interest to say!

15 comments:

Kathryn said...

that Zelda Fitzgerald quote lives on my front door so that I see it every time I leave

and of course you have things interest to say - we come HERE, no?

Bre said...

I often find myself in those "wow, my life is dull!" moments and flip it over - at least I occasionally have moments of calm! :)

Michael C said...

I have often struggled with this thought too. I guess it's natural as we get a little older and have more responsibility. Perhaps the real growth is in learning to find excitement in what we have to do these days.

For the record: after reading you for several months now, I find you to be the very opposite of boring.

teahouse said...

Well, when I have nothing to say, I try to turn inward and get introspective. I usually learn something cool about myself I didn't know before...

Scotty said...

Boring and exciting are relative.

Ones boring can be anothers exciting.

You, are not boring. :)

Jeni said...

Maybe it just seems boring to you because these are things that are also "routine" to you but to those of us reading -whose lives are also seemingly dull, boring and mundane to us -your life holds lots of excitement and your presentation of the things of interest to you, to the diva, your thoughts in general on life as it hits you, well kiddo, it's far from dull and boring on this side of the screen.
I had to chuckle a bit to myself as I read your post because I frequently think of my life as being very dull and boring and the only things that perk it up for me are the little things my grandkids are learning day-by-day.

The Exception said...

Kathryn - I have never heard the quote beyond the book. It is great and Thanks!

Bre - Ah, if only my life had "calm" moments!!

MC - I think that it comes with age and kids and jobs that aren't overly dynamic in nature. One week starts to look like every other week.

Teahouse - I do that too. There is always something new about me to discover!

Scotty - Too true about everything being subjective. And thanks, good to know I am not boring as I realize that I have loads of competition for your attention! ;)

Jeni - Thanks. It is exactly that every week starts to look like the next. Even though I work etc, sometimes it is the Diva that keeps life a little more interesting! I suppose as long as we keep striving to find the adventure, and living life, even through the littlest things... that is a good sign!

Aaron said...

Your life is anything BUT dull. Love the new film-strip header. :)

JustRun said...

It must only become "dull" when it becomes normal for us. Personally, I think talk of white dresses is very interesting! :)

Michael C said...

You hit the nail on the head with that observation. Ah, how great a dynamic job would be!! ;-)

The Exception said...

Aaron - Thanks, I am not sure that I like it so expect it to change as flowers start to appear and Virginia begins to come to life.

JR - It was a cute conversation. She was in tears at the idea of not having this dress for her own. She loves white dresses!

MC - Ah to ahve a dynamic job!

enigma said...

I was going to write a post titled "the spiritual path of ordianariness'

The Exception said...

E - I can't wait to read it!

Enigma said...

Maybe its a virgo thing...but I'm feeling very dull and uninspired at the moment...

Seven Seas said...

Think you might be confusing dullness with shifting priorities. In our 20's we are the center of our own universe, now that universe has 2 people in it. I have yet to meet any parents whose lives are boring. :)