19 May, 2008

Extravaganza

Quality of life.  That is what it is all about. 
 
That is what I kept telling myself as I peered at the price of tickets, per person, to the Kennedy Center's 4th of July celebration.  It is an experience to be had and cherished. 
 
The Diva looked at the price, just to make sure I was reading it right.  "And you thought it would be $400 a person!"
 
"I was joking," I explained... but actually, I wasn't far off. 
 
Sometimes I really need to take a breath, count to ten, and remember that we do only live once.  That if possible, we need to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves as no one knows what tomorrow will bring. 
 
I looked at the price again - does that mean my dad has to wear a tie and I have to wear heels?  I mean, honestly, are we talking picnic or summer social at an exclusive club?
 
No, we are talking about free parking, no fighting for space amidst thousands of people, and a fabulous, breath taking view of the city and the show.
 
Moreover, we are talking about something that my dad, for one, really wants to do.  
 
My dad, as set in his ways as he has become, is (like most men) a kid at heart.  In that light, he loves fireworks!  One of his great plans is to see the most fabulous fireworks displays for the 4th of July throughout the country.  He plans to do Mount Rushmore in South Dakota soon, but this year is about the National celebration in DC.  Beyond the crowds on the Mall, there is probably no better place to see the display than... on the roof of the Kennedy Center.
 
How often do we, as children, get to do something for our parents that is a real treat?  How often do we get to give them something or an experience that will delight and surprise them; something that they will cherish?  I love giving myself and my daughter such experiences just as my parents enjoyed giving them to me.  This time, it is my turn to give to them!
 
Thus, my parents 2008 summer visit is shaping up to be one of "events."  My mom is looking forward to Mama Mia and Yo-yo Ma, and my dad is all about rock climbing, a few days on the beach, and fireworks in DC.
 
Quality experiences with great people... priceless!
 
(We might be living off toast and water for a while, but... it will be worth it!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for living off toast in order to experience life-- I'm with ya!

Anonymous said...

You could be in a mastercard commercial - free parking and fireworks? Priceless!

My brother saw the 3 Tenors at Dodger Stadium. Pricey, and he doesn't regret a thing.

I saw Pearl Jam and U2 in concert together in Honolulu - a pricey weekend, but I'll never forget the experience.

Have Fun!!!

The Exception said...

JR - How could I not do it??? I am all about experiences!

Dad's House - Those sound like great experiences too. I would love to be a commercial - just send them my way!

Anonymous said...

"We might be living off toast and water for a while, but... it will be worth it!"

Amen! Sounds awesome (the experience, not the living off toast and water.)

Aaron said...

That's a bit rich for my blood. ;) I've done some once-in-a-lifetime (sorta) things and as far as July 4th is concerned, I'm glad I got that out of the way last year. Uncertain what I'm going to do this 4th, but I'm thinking it'll be much more low-key than the last. We'll see.

Seven Seas said...

Life is short, live it while you can. Yes, all men love fireworks (or explosions in general, why do you think guy movies are filled with them).

The Exception said...

TF - It sounds like it will be fun. Time will tell. Knowing my family, it will become a tradition.

Aaron - What did you do last year? You are having a once in a lifetime experience this summer yourself.

7 Seas - Yeah... something about the blast really does ork for a lot of men... I wonder if they would like it so much without the sound? I wonder if they like it so much after they find out all that goes into and comes out of the big bang!