09 May, 2008

The Mother's Day Gift

Finding the perfect Mother's Day gift has always proven to be quite the challenge for me. I just never know what to give; I never know what my mom will like.

This year I sent a book and The Diva's spring picture. The latter because it is always something that my family loves to receive and the former... well, I like to give books and this one happened to be one of my favorites. But... I was thinking that my mom might be able to read it while she is hospitalized, but... who knows.

The Diva has gift issues as well.

This year she asked "What would you like more than anything else?"
"A trip to Italy," I promptly answered as that is honestly what I want.
"Besides a trip?"

There are lots of things that I might want... a new bracelet (and I am not sure why but I am really into bracelets right now); a year of weekly deliveries of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and great bread because I am addicted to the combination; or a wonderfully relaxing weekend at the beach.

What I would really and truly like is a mixture of wildflower seeds. I would like to go on a walk with her, through the woods, and sprinkle seeds.

I know it isn't flashy or expensive; it is probably something that sounds a bit strange to some, but... to me it sounds like a wonderful tradition to begin and to share. The tradition of planting something beautiful on Mother's day.

I did not share this with the Diva as she has no one with whom to shop; no means of finding seeds just yet.Actually, I didn't share it with anyone until just now. I will find the seeds to celebrate with her once they arrive.

As Mother's day approaches, I have been listening to the things that people do and the ways that mom's celebrate the day - from the gifts that are given to the way that they want to spend their time. I was amazed to learn that many do not spend the day with their families but prefer to spend it with friends or doing something on their own.

As for me, this Mother's day I will share a breakfast with the Diva before she runs off to a birthday party. I will most likely spend the day curled up with a cat and a book... completely enjoying the privacy which I rarely experience. And And when I do get the seeds, we might build a picnic and take a walk; we might sing and laugh and play; and we will toss seeds!

Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, my family lives on the other side of the country, but I will give my mom a ring (as I do almost every day) and remind her how grateful I am for her.

Dave said...

Interesting, I just sent an Email to the "Moms in my life."

Italy is going to be there for awhile. Tomatoes, cheese and bread, take them while you can get them.

The seeds are priceless, she and you will remember them for the rest of your lives.

The Dummy said...

Hey, Happy Mother's Day. :)

The Exception said...

TF - My family is on the other side of the country as well - I am thankful for the USPS!

Dave - We will do our seeds once the rain stops (please stop rain) and I can't wait!

DD - Thanks and congratulations!