11 June, 2008

Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot

For the last few days, I have been feeling hot!
Growing up in the southwest, I am quite familiar with heat. In fact, hot summer days were some of my very favorite. I remember spending long amounts of time under the Arizona sun enjoying the feel of it on my skin.
I loved swimming or playing in the sprinkler and then warming my cool body beneath the suns rays, and making funny puddles on the pool deck only to have the water evaporate within minutes
I remember loving to exercise in the summer. Working up a sweat based on exercise was nice, as was knowing that the moisture would be gone within a short period of time. Everything dries quickly under an Arizona sun!
My first summer on the East Coast was an eye opening experience. I worked at a camp in CT and became very familiar with humidity very quickly. The camp director told me, at the end of the summer, that he wasn't sure I would survive the two months. I looked like a drowned rat for the first few weeks. Little did he know, that was how I felt too!
But a summer in Ct was nothing like a summer spent in Omaha, NE where humidity and temperatures just don't give up. As intensely cold as a NE winter can be - it has nothing on the intense heat and humidity of a NE summer.
I quickly learned that I can't live in humid climates - especially hot and humid climates.
Yet, here I am, living in a former swamp and enduring Floridian conditions in the beginning of... June.
It is HOT people! It is 97 degrees with a heat index somewhere above 105. There is no breeze, not a cloud in the sky, and the air is saturated.
It is the kind of hot that leaves a film of water on my skin as soon as I leave an air conditioned building; the kind that leaves me wondering why I bothered taking a shower or that perhaps I should just turn right around and take another! The kind of hot that leaves my hair curling in all directions and a bit more full than normal. Just to walk out the door is to hit a wall of water and wish that I had gills! The humidity zaps all my energy; I am definitely not a cat on a hot tin roof these days!
It is hot!
In the midst of all this heat, I entered a contest about first dates and creative ideas that might ignite heat of a different sort. Although I did not win, I did have fun writing! Thanks to David for the competition.
And thanks to David for my fun new award!
Because heat or no heat, I rock the house!
(Now, if I could just figure out how to get back to Arizona for the summers...)

4 comments:

Doozie said...

OH LORDY...it snowed in moscow idaho yesterday

Anonymous said...

I never realized the whole concept of a dry heat until I moved from Arizona to D.C. It never feels as hot here temperature wise, but the heat definitely sucks the energy right out of you!

Jeni said...

Heat, humidity and being in the proximity of the Anacostia, the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay, all come together to make one feel this must be the gates of Hell in the summer time in D.C. and in the winter, I found those three same elements combined with cold air made me feel like the temps were way below some of the 30 below days in mid-winter that I grew up experiencing in central PA! There very definitely is a major difference in heat between Arizona and D.C. -also between D.C. and central PA too!

The Exception said...

Doozie - Ah snow... bring it on!

TF - Give me AZ heat any time. I don't miss the dust though! ;)

Jeni - And DC has nothing on Omaha in regards to heat and humidity. No wonder so many people live in CA!