14 July, 2008

It's a DC 4th

There are times when I feel like I am in the middle of a television show.  My family is just one of those families. 
 
We were never Leave it to Beaver or Happy Days.  Maybe a bit of Family Ties, but not really.  No, my family is usually something much more... quaint. 
 
If you are familiar with the BBC show Keeping Up Appearances, you are familiar with my family to some extent - at least from my brother's perspective.  My mom is Daisy while my dad is Onslow.  I, of course, am Rose (Olalla).  My brother does a wonderful Hyacinth were Hyacinth a man.  He is continually trying to ensure that the rest of us behave and act accordingly - not for the sake of appearances within society but to maintain his image within his community.  We don't do a very good job of it at all.  (My brother even chatted with my mom to ensure that I dressed appropriately for his wedding!  I dress on the sexy side of conservative but never, never am I anything but well turned out)
 
But for the 4th of July, the family became the Clampetts!!  Straight of the mountains of Arizona, my family set the Kennedy Center in its sights and... off we went!
 
Let me set the stage -
 
Picture it, the Diva, myself, and my parents belted ourselves into my dad's bright red 3/4 ton pick-up truck and headed for the city. 
 
Everything is going swimmingly.  We are moving down the GW Parkway at a nice speed, have our parking pass, and are on schedule, until... we discover that the exit to the KC is closed due to its access to the Mall.  And here, my friends, is where the fun begins!
 
My parents don't often disagree or have tense moments now that they are no longer parents of small children disagreeing about parenting issues.  They get along well until they are in the car.  Things get a little tense as mom navigates, dad drives, dad doesn't do exactly what mom says, mom gets frustrated... you know the drill. 
 
So this is where we are.  My mom and the GPS have to get us to the KC because no one is going to listen to me... and I have learned enough to stay out of it.  My mom and the GPS don't often agree, which leaves the situation that much more confusing.  Toss in the narrow streets of Georgetown made for a horse and carriage not a 3/4 ton truck and... need I say more?
 
We did arrive at the KC, but the driving adventure did not end there.  Oh no, that would be too much to ask of the Clampetts at the Kennedy Center.  At this point, my parents have to decide where to park. 
 
The parking dilemma is one that I will not discuss in great detail except to say that it took at least 15 minutes to park, at least 3 different parking spaces, and the garage was fairly empty!!
 
At this point, I was singing the Beverly Hillbillies theme and the Diva was laughing and ready to get out of the truck. 
 
We made our way upstairs and enjoyed the rest of the evening. 
 
The food was amazing and bountiful.  There was every kind of picnic food one could imagine.  An open bar, games for the men (I mean kids), and the crowd was friendly and courteous.  We had a table outside from which we had a direct view of the Washington Monument and later a fabulous fireworks display. 
 
We all agreed at the end of the event, that it was very worth while.  A wonderful experience and one worth doing again. 
 
I did take some video of the fireworks.  It is interesting to see them from the air rather than from the ground.  It was as if they were shining, in the sky, just for us. 
 
I will do it again next year, unless I am at the beach.  If you would like to join us, please let me know.  Seeing the fireworks from the Kennedy Center is definitely an experience worth having and worth sharing.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

And I thought I was behind... you're blogging from the 4th! :P

I can't recall the last time I was in the car with both my folks but I had a similar day yesterday with Sarah's folks. They were supposed to follow me to our destination, but because I couldn't tell her dad EXACTLY what streets we were going to be on, he had to ask around the restaurant we left just in case. blah. There was a little more to it than that and it included a little eye-rolling but we FINALLY arrived at the destination 15min late.

JustRun said...

Hahahahahaha!

I'd definitely like to join in, Clampettness and all. :)

The Exception said...

Aaron - Ah, aren't car rides and parents such great fun! (yeah, I am a bit behind)

JR - You are definitely welcome to come along... and drive your tractor!