02 December, 2008

Nutcracker

I attended the Nutcracker when I was in 3rd grade.  It was nice.  I remember the Russian dancers.  But it really wasn’t anything special. 

In the past 9 years, I have seen the Nutcracker 12 times – and that is not including the rehearsals that I have attended).  I know the music to the point that I sometimes find myself humming it in the shower or hear it playing in my dreams.  From the 1st of November, I live and breathe The Nutcracker just like the Diva. 

The Nutcracker is quickly approaching.  While the Diva is so very excited to get on stage and do her thing, I am very excited to sit in the audience and know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it is over!!  I don’t have to touch another Nutcracker costume or hear that music for another year!

Don’t get me wrong, I love the show.  It is a wonderfully fun ballet – especially the Second Act.  It is just that, having listened to it since September, I am really ready to listen to something else. 

This year we are sharing the event with friends, old and new.  Classmates, teachers, former ballet students, kids of all ages… everyone will fill the audience.  For all those who are coming to see the show, I thank you.  For all those who are coming to also see the Diva in action – I especially thank you!

Each year the Diva asks when family will come.  “Do you think Daddy will come and watch when I am Clara?”  The question breaks my heart as does the answer.  I can not assure her that he will come.  I can assure her that my parents will come when she is Clara.  My cousin said that she would come from New England to see her dance when she is Clara.  But she is not Clara right now.  Right now she is a soldier.  Right now I attempt to fill the audience with friends so that she has someone, beyond me, in the audience to provide support.

And friends do come.  A family friend drives from Maryland each year to see her dance and has since the first Nutcracker when the Diva was nearly 3 years old.  Her best friend from school will sit in the audience for the second year in a row, which means so very much.  New friends of mine will bring their kids while newly found family will arrive via H-2.  And my heart fills with appreciation. 

It is wonderful to be able to celebrate another Nutcracker (despite my feelings about the music) with friends.  Moreover, it is wonderful to have them there – even if they are there for the show more than the Diva – they are there all the same. 

Thank you – from this Diva’s mom’s heart!

 

(And if you are in the area and would like to come – just drop me an e-mail!!)

5 comments:

said...

Aw!!! Maybe next year she will be Clara and I can come out there!!

I love the Nutcracker too but I could easily see how you would grow tired of it.

Yay for the Diva!

dadshouse said...

Enjoy the show! I love the music of the nutcracker. I've seen the ballet a few times. My kids and my favorite version was Mark Morris' "Hard Nut"!

I'm sure your Diva will be great.

Mama Llama said...

I know she will be great--partly because she is Diva, partly because she is your daughter.

The monitos and I are very much looking forward to seeing the show. Princesita gets a big smile on her face, and Young Prince starts to hum Nutcracker music.

We promise not to hack on you. We can always sit a few rows back just in case...

Be well, TE.

Anonymous said...

Aw, that would be wonderful! Enjoy some for me, too!

The Exception said...

T - I am not sure she will be Clara next year, but she will dance more and you are definitely invited!

DH - Ah, that version has nothin' on this one!!! And the last gingerbread in the line... just amazing! (and beyond cute)

ML - Oh please, I have you in the front row - up close and personal! Those kids are going to feel like they are in the midst of the party and the candy and the fun!

JR - I expect to see you out here some time too (along with the first two in this line-up!) You would enjoy it... though DC isn't exactly tropical in December! ;)