14 December, 2009

A Sunday Smile

“getting away from the crowds?”

The question came from the man walking on my left.  I had just left my daughter with a friend to do some shopping and was walking back to the bookstore to do some shopping of my own.  

“Yeah,”  I smiled and didn’t think much  about the conversation.  Just a man being friendly as we walked down the mall.  

“I just came from the Lego store…”  He told me about not being able to find the kit he sought and how he was hoping to find it at the toy shop we were approaching.  

At first this caught me off guard.  This random conversation with this strange man about a toy he was seeking for his son.  It reminded me of the guys in college who preferred the line “Don’t I know you from somewhere?” over any other.    That line that I took way too seriously!  The line I didn’t recognize as a line until after the fact.

Once the initial shock ended, I relaxed into the moment.  Smiling and laughing with him, I engaged in the conversation.  He was one friendly, outgoing dad on a mission, and I was an umbrella laden, coat carrying mom sipping coffee.  Together we embraced the day.  

I have to admit, it was a nice surprise and a fun way to start my solo shopping morning.    

 

2 comments:

justrun said...

Isn't it funny how we're so surprised when some stranger starts a conversation that way. You're right, it's a college flashback. Only, hopefully, with a little less predictability. :)

Mama Llama said...

We can often be so enveloped in our own little worlds that it can be almost shocking when someone breaks into that world. And isn't it wonderful when someone DOES shake up our lives a bit with spontaneous conversation and a bit of cheer??

Be well, TE.